May 6, 2010

Probation Officer

I spent some time in my former Home-EC room this past week. I really loved that room I learned how to make Orange Julius's, baking powder biscuits, no bake cookies, and other delicious recipes. It is also where I really started to learn to sew. We make a reversible apron and a four-square pillow. Boy and girl alike had to perform these tasks. I can see the Home-EC teacher in my mind with her short black/gray poodle curly hair her blue eyes, braces, and even her voice. Jr. High Home-EC. was kind of a sanctuary of sorts a room of sunshine in an otherwise dark and gloomy world. This is where my former classmate spit 24 loogies into his mixed bean salad which was served up in the teachers room. I've never eaten Home-EC prepared foods since... or mixed bean salad for that matter.

Unfortunately my old favorite place had been changed and transformed (mostly) into a temporary Science room. It was sad no clickity-clacking of old sewing machines, no hollers from boys who accidentally poked themselves with a needle, no sewing on buttons, no sweet scents of burning rolls, no dinging of kitchen timers, no mixing and kneading, etc etc. I then asked the kids where was the Home-Ec. Room? There wasn't one... no Shop, no Home-ec., and no Art. I tried to pin-point exactly what I got from these classes that made them so great. I was able to create and imagine my own world.. not a world of facts and figures and there wasn't a right or a wrong necessarily. These rooms nurtured my creative spirit. Kids who didn't excel in Math, or English, or Science.... could excel in Shop for example where they could apply and learn Math skills in a real hands-on manner. It is sooo wrong that we've removed these classes... we're sucking the joy right out of school.

If your 12-17 Year old already has a probation officer and is spending more time at Juvenile Hall than in school, spending any free time getting drunk and high, ignoring all requests or orders of anyone in authority from Principals, Teachers, P.O.'s, or Judges... It should be required they go to military school. I think that night school should be available to your child with a 1 strike you're out policy. Get caught doing any illegal behavior after being assigned to night school that would be it ... Off to Military School. It might not save the tax payers money in the short term but in the long term it would.
Maybe just maybe their criminal behavior and attitudes could be turned around, maybe their respect for authority would change, maybe they would think school wasn't so bad, and maybe they wouldn't end up in jail or prison or worse. Maybe they would learn that their own choices and behaviors led to the consequences! Parents should have their wages garnished to help pay for the brat they created. If the student is in night school and doing well I think they should have a job during the day and the wages should be garnished to help pay for their teacher and the rest should be put into a savings account they cannot access until they turn 18.

I wish you could show a student what you see in their future.. you know it seems like fun now... but reckless behaviors can lead to so much pain and heartache... but they can't see what is in store tomorrow or ten minutes from now let alone a year or two down the road.

3 comments:

  1. I tried to get into Home Ec (cute girls), but they made me take shop class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to get into Home Ec (cute girls), but they made me take shop class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we were lucky :) Our Home-EC was Co-ED :)

    ReplyDelete