July 31, 2018

Finding the Groove!


The Smoke! The smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke.  With hot days and smokey air the top speed is about .5.  There are a couple of upsides. One the  mosquitoes and green bugs have surrendered for a moment. Their propagation has slowed. Also, the bicyclists are not riding in the middles of roadways or hugging non-existent shoulders on narrow roads. They aren't out and about impeding traffic. Silver linings... you can always find some.

I worked on a craft project and spent time with a pal today. It is always good to have a little time with those who know you best and still like you! 😉😁 We accomplished our goal even though it was a bit of a challenge! I went home and decided a nap was the best option.

I am sitting down tonight contemplating curriculum. I have stuff all over everywhere as I sit and contemplate the end goal. Last night I read this fantastic quote "Be wary of people selling complete programs that will supposedly solve all educational problems. I believe that there is no single answer for out to fix our schools but that we should take the best ideas from everything that we can find."  (Dave Burgess,2012)  It is so true! I jump on almost every opportunity I can to attend professional development. If I know about it I am generally one of the first to volunteer. WHY? Here is what I have learned. Even the worse professional development I have ever attended, I gained a little gold nugget of something. Now some have lots of gold and it is overwhelming. Some just have a couple of good nuggets. It is also we I have a list of reading I am always working on that might help me in my career. Sometimes, I feel that I've wasted my time, but there is usually at least one little nugget in there.

So I am looking over curriculum a canned, basal, soul sucking pit of doom. It really is that bad. My goal which might take more time than I have is to get through it and find the nuggets. Find the nugget and expand on that. I went taught using this system last year.  It made  me sad. It killed my creativity. It sucked the joy right out of teaching. I simply do not have the power to change the program. I also cannot continue in this pit of despair knowing that I am not doing what is right or meaningful for students. My challenge is to find the nugget. Wish me well. I can find a way to add some substantial meat to this disgusting brew. I can... It may take me a couple of years, and failures a long the way. I am determined to find my "groove" with this.

We also spent some time with cousins this week. It seems Dad has always been a terror! Some claim these reports are highly exaggerated! We also enjoyed a delicious Hot Dog Pizza with the appropriate condiments

No comments:

Post a Comment