March 20, 2020

Crazy Week

Okay first of all if I become more irritable throughout this post it is because of my upstairs neighbor. My patience is being tried. He has been babysitting every evening this week. He's a young guy and I doubt there is much ummmm supervision. The kids run and run and run, but that isn't the worst part. They climb on the furniture and jump off.  Boom, Boom, BOOM, boom, Boom, BOOM, yeah, I have  a headache. It starts about 5p.m. daily and this continues till after 10 p.m. every night. There is a park across the street. I wish they could spend a little time there before being trapped indoors in a small apartment.

It has been a crazy week.  A week ago all of our school superintendents met and said we wouldn't close yet. 2 days later our Governor announced school would be closing till April 6th. Our Spring Break is the week after that so we would be out till the following week.  This week was all about making a plan, changing the plan, making a new plan, etc. I had no idea when I said "see you Monday" to my students last Friday, how many Mondays that would be. 

We were asked to stay away from school as much as possible, only coming if absolutely necessary. We were told we couldn't leave town as we could be called in anytime for anything.  We did get asked to come in and put together student work, and as usual my teammate and I got it all together. They are making it available on the school website for parents to print off, and printed copies for those who can't do that at home. This isn't required of parents or students, it will not be graded, etc. We got that together and left.  I only stopped at school one more time after that. I brought everything home to work on.

OH MY WORD THE BANGING!

Okay anyhow, we were also asked to have Parent Teacher conferences using either technology or phone calls, next week. So that will be interesting. We were given questions to ask parents to help them out at this time.  There is no road map for how to handle this situation, but I am not sure we are making all the right choices. We will all learn from this experience.  Based on the absenteeism I've had this year, the lack of doing homework (which is soooo basic), I am thinking that academics at home for most people will not be happening.

As I watch what is happening with states around us, I don't think our school closure date is accurate. I strongly suspect we will be out significantly longer. I am just hoping we have a little time together at the end of the school year to say our goodbyes.

I also have my own class I am taking for my reading endorsement. IT has been pretty AWFUL, the most disorganized online class I have EVER taken, and I have taken a lot of them. It is such a bummer because the content is so good. The instructor said she reorganized some things to make it more user friendly for this week. I opened it up and was like... uh nope....nice try though.

SOMEBODY GIVE THAT KID SOME BENADRYL!   I have such a headache. Noise canceling headphones, might help but it shakes the apartment, I can even feel it. Sigh...

I have almost caught up on my laundry, other than folding it, the dishes are done. My goal this weekend is to buy a racket ball ball and throw it at the ceiling. NO not really. I want to finish my work for my online class  and then start cleaning house. After my last class finished and before this one started I went on a cleaning spree and got rid of stuff. I also had a soup making day!

I am so glad I did that now that the grocery stores are EMPTY. I was down to a cup of milk left and when my friends went to the store they picked up some for me. I guess we are getting a taste of true socialism.  All of the meat, paper products, dry goods, milk products, GONE. The only thing really left is some produce and junk food. I have nothing to compare this too, but my experiences in stores in the eastern block. Options were limited. Places that have high taxes and some socialist ideas as healthcare for all, also have the fewest regulations for starting businesses. Their capitalism is paying for their social programs. This is not true socialism like you'd find in Venezuela or Russia. 

I am trying to stay connected with my students and their families. I've been reading stories and placing them in our Google Classroom. They are able to send me messages as well. Which from 2nd graders is pretty entertaining. I hope more of them will get on and message me after I have their "conference" next week.

MAKE IT STOP!!!!

This week has been kind of a roller coaster and I want to find some type of routine soon.  Even if it isn't the "norm" I need the structure.  I don't know what is next, but I'll keep on keeping on!



No comments:

Post a Comment