So I decided I needed to be more prepared at home this year as well. Often times I get home in the winter and look bleakly into my refrigerator and sadly into my cupboards.. knowing that I could cook something but I don't want to. Especially when I am just cooking for me. By the time I make something and eat it day after- day after-day after-day after-day (you get the point) I never ever want to eat it again. So I have been preparing a few things to freeze. I started with a big ole' pot-o-stew! I spent most of the day making it but it turned out WONDERFUL. I added something to my wish list for Santa after chopping veggies with very little skill. How about one of these:
I'll have to wait and see on that one. So then I decided to make Home-made Chicken Noodle Soup.. Just like Granny's or Mom's or whatever gray haired person comes to mind. Here is the recipe I used: CHICKEN NOODLE It turned out to be quite delicious. Although now that I read the recipe I realize I forgot to add cornstarch. I wonder if that was important? Hmmmmm. Also I instead of boiling a chicken and suffering through the smell of well... boiled chicken. I bought 2 rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and dumped them into the pot juices and all. I pulled them out after a bit, removed the skin, and pulled the meat off the bones. I also made home-made Egg noodles as described in the 1968 Betty Crocker Cookbook. Betty Crockers Cookbook 1969 Ed 1972 Print
Well you really should read it. Especially if you come from the Pacific Northwest... or you're a woman, or you've lived on a farm, or you've ever raised chickens, or you've contemplated raising chickens, or you wonder where they got the idea for that Old TV show Ma and Pa Kettle
!
Anyhow back to the important stuff such as Cooking and Eating and all that goodness. So Tonight I decided to attempt a Banana Bread Recipe I had read about online: Which I totally can't find the link right now so I will post it later. Anyhow you brown the banana's in the oven. Isn't that great? There is NOOOO need to wait around for them to turn brown and spoil. You just throw them in the 350 Degree oven for 5 minutes.. turn... 5 for minutes and Vwa La! Spoiled ooey gooey banana's for bread. Okay maybe don't get to excited because this bread is still in the oven and has not passed the taste test. I chose to do small loaf pans so that I could freeze some bread as well. I could eat banana bread every day for the next 5 years and feel great about it.. but apparently there are some medical reasons why that isn't recommended. So I will set some aside for a blustery winter day.
Random thought.. do you ever say the word Blustery with-OUT thinking of Winnie-the-Pooh? If you do not think of Winnie I am sad for you.
Well I need to go because the bread is done. I almost burned it..That would've been sad. I will post the recipe and the conclusion later. Have a great day!
Note the Betty Crocker Cookbook... I linked to is not the Correct Edition apparently all cooks using the '68 edition are still using it or have passed it down in the family and refuse to sell it. WHO CAN BLAME THEM!!
ReplyDelete