September 29, 2010

It's Not a One Horse Town

No it isn't a one horse town, or even a one stoplight town. It is a one Radio Station Town, a one Newspaper Town, a one Post Office Town. Horses though... there's no shortage!

Well you'd think I'd be whining about the hot weather, but I'm not. 91 degrees doesn't feel unbearable when it is this dry. Low 40's at night and high 80's or above during the day. I haven't even noticed. My classroom has an Air Conditioner I've never turned on. I was told that this town has two seasons. Summer and Winter. Since I'm allergic to spring and fall that works for me! I can't believe it is the end of September and how warm it is. The snow shovels are stocked at the grocery store. As well as all the other cool weather devices you think you don't need till the ground is white. I brought my snow shovel with me so I should be good!

I am really enjoying my work. I do have moments when students are so sarcastic that it makes one go GRRRRR. I like my co-workers as near as I can tell so far. I like my job. I'm learning more everyday. I find out more and more what they do have to offer at this school. There are Professional Development opportunities that I am excited about. It is work.. I come home exhausted with tired feet and collapse. I come home with a sore back after using the die cutter. I am not super tall... but come on why do they always put those items on short tables so you're bending over like Quasimodo to do your work. Then you go to stand up straight and you're feel like you need to be snapped back into alignment! Sometimes I feel the world is arranged for Shorter people. I guess no matter your height some things are inconvenient! Back to work... finally I am doing what I love to do. Every day I feel that my skills are improving and that I am learning new things! If I am not learning every day I don't think I am doing my best for the students.

This week the school has been preparing for Parent Teacher conferences. That is one thing I do not have to Participate in. Other than I will be working in the computer lab helping parents sign their students up for a new publishing program we are using. It is pretty cool because the students can create their own book. The parents can pay to have it printed in color if they like. However, they can also print for free in black and white as well as the teachers. So the kids who do not get much exposure to technology will through this program and it allows them creativity with that technology. I do not know too much about it yet but I can't wait to start playing around with it. There is no cost to the parents or school unless they choose to pay for something done in color.

I know I have more exciting and wonderful things to share.... I need to write notes so when I sit down to the computer I'm not wondering what is new with me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment