February 10, 2011

I made it!

This was one of those weeks. The kids weren't badly behaved. I had a cold and 250 meetings. Okay, yes that was an exaggeration...! It felt like that many with a head cold though. I made it... my students survived me. My voice disappeared today. I am sooo looking forward to a nights rest and sleeping in a little bit before I go tutor tomorrow. I have been really lucky to have co-workers who are very supportive,encouraging, and offer resources to help me learn more. By doing this they really help me to be a better teacher. So then my student's benefit. Some teachers feel almost proprietary over their knowledge and resources. Even if they can't share materials with you sometimes all you need is sharing of experience and knowledge. I have a couple of amazing co-workers who are very willing to do just that.

Oh yes... I can't forget to share this. I am a nut. So in 2 weeks I have my patriotic program with 2nd grade student. Two weeks after that two other teachers and I are putting on a school carnival to raise money. Ummmmm what was I THINKING???? I am excited though and the carnival is at the end of the week after school. It is also after kids will be finishing state testing. So maybe that will be some relief for them. There is a lot of pressure on Staff and students to make sure they do well. I am just not sure it is the right kind of pressure, or if it is misplaced pressure. It seems like here they are asking a lot but not always helping the staff achieve the goals. Reciprocal Accountability. Those are my two new favorite words. If you have a boss that asks you to build a space shuttle in 2 months and only gives you 1/3 of what you need to accomplish it.... but no matter what you must achieve it or punishment is coming your way. What do you do? I see the staff dealing with behaviors that should not be happening and ask for resources, backup, help, etc. They just aren't receiving it. I am watching teachers burn out. I hope that parents will get involved soon. I have so much to say on this but I will give you a break.

My fire is roaring tonight. It may be a chicken noodle soup weekend. I have one container left in my freezer. That is just unacceptable. It is my go to soup when the germ-monsters have shared another virus with me. I don't know if I will get it done but you know what? I am certainly going to find time to relax. I will have about 3 less meetings next week. HURRAH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment