Day three of the first week of school. I think we were all feeling it today. I've been getting to school at six in the morning and leaving at five. This catches up with one pretty quickly. My students requested last year that we begin every morning with patriotic songs. I thought "Why not?". So I made a play list of some of the shorter songs along with lyric packets for the students. We started this morning with "This Land Is Your Land." One of the high school students comes every morning to pick up one of the elementary students. They say the pledge together. It is pretty fun for both of them. Every week a different student does it. I think the older and the younger students look forward to it!
It needs to keep cooling down. We left the lights off in the school building today, and left them off in my classroom all day. It keeps the heat down but it is still miserable in the afternoon.One of my classroom aides told me today she can't wait for winter!
How often do you hear that? That's how hot our classrooms are!
Makes it pretty hard to keep everyone going. I've really had to make sure the kids are drinking enough water. My new kindergarten student has fallen asleep at his desk both of his school days in the afternoon. It is a long, long, day for the little guys.
Our principal was at the school for awhile today. She said I could move the amplification system into my room. So I am excited about that. I don't know how soon it will happen but I am glad. It will save my voice especially in the winter, and I can make sure all of my students can hear me. It is an issue in my room when the fans are running to beat the heat.
I am feeling spread a little thin in my classroom. My aide isn't even attempting to help. yay! I keep sending kids to her. I realized on the math today she didn't know the math to help them. Other than that though she isn't even trying. Pray for me to have patience, or her to move on, or both!
I've been making my students write a lot more in every subject area. Some of them are NOT enjoying this. It is important they do it, but some of them really, really, fight it. We are doing math notebooks this year. I can tell this is really challenging them because they are not adapting very quickly to the concept. That makes me glad I am doing it. I also mentioned yesterday I tried a different strategy on them. I realized yesterday it works well, but I need a little more prep time. Good thing this weekend is a three day weekend so I can look ahead and get some lessons in place.
We managed to get six computers working so I was able to give my students one of their pre-assessments this morning. I have about six help tickets into our tech department. Hopefully, he can get it done on Friday. I I was a little disappointed that more wasn't done. However, when you're one guy trying to get the whole district going with newer computers it isn't easy. I haven't learned yet not to have expectations. I can't get on the SMART Board exchange site which is really bumming me out. I find great lessons on my home computer but don't have access at school. Which makes perfect sense doesn't it?
I am reading "Red Sails of Capri" to my students. I think their favorite character in the story is the mom Signora Pagano. The father says she doesn't cook by smell, by taste, or by sight, but by talking to the food. Today their was a great part about cooking macaroni. My kids laughed so hard I imagine they will be telling their parents "Macaroni is Jealous, it likes all of your time and attention, turn your back on it and just for spite it turns to mush, sticks to the bottom of the pan, or burns." This is paraphrased but my students loved it! I love how they can get into a good story! It was funny when I asked questions about the story I didn't expect my new kindergartner to answer any. He was paying closer attention than I realized and was able to answer some questions! Fantastic! We are reading such a variety of stories this year. It will be interesting to see which ones the kids really relate to.
Welll I think I am working my way to bed time
G'nite
No comments:
Post a Comment