I had an awesome birthday. The outpouring from colleagues and friends just made my month! It really was a much needed boost. From colleagues I received a card, flowers, chocolate, and lots of jokes! It was nice to feel that from your co-workers! I received a couple of presents from students and gluten free chocolate chip cookies from a parent. My neighbors made me a delicious homemade soup that I am going to attempt to re-create this weekend. I really felt the love on my birthday. I've been fighting whatever plague is attacking my immune system and I was dragging heiney. I only took one day off of work. Realistically it probably would've been better for me to take another day but with half our staff out for Jury Duty I figured the chances of having a substitute were very slim. I powered through and did the best I could. Having a little extra support made it doable.
I have had a battle going on to help a student get the services needed. I have sent a few e-mails and have had multiple conversations. The results have been minimal to non-existent. I went to school today to get some work done and this situation kept popping in my mind as I looked at my classroom. It is beyond frustrating to me because not only is this student not being served well, the student's classmates are not being served well. This is because the needs of this student are soo significantly high that I am unable to meet them. It isn't even my job to meet them it is the Special Education Teachers job. I was in tears from frustration on Thursday over this situation. I sat down today and e-mailed the principal and vice-principal my concerns. If it doesn't get taken care of in a timely manner I'm going to the next level. I can't be effective in my job with what is going on. I've never had a fall where I've questioned time and again "WHY AM I DOING THIS JOB?" The frustration isn't because I lack the skills, but because I lack the support to be effective. We have amazing curricula, amazing students, but an administration that is absolutely in la-la land. So I remain hopeful that some changes will be put in place.
Next week are parent teacher conferences. I have grading to finish this weekend and progress report cards to print. I also need to rest so I am up for the marathon ahead. I usually don't but this weekend I brought my grading home to work on so that I could do it in my pj's with minimal interruptions. When I went in to school today to print some things and collect papers I discovered they had put a sink with a drinking fountain in my classroom. That was VERY exciting. I don't have to deal with students leaving the classroom for drinks. It is huge because usually all the 2nd grade classes are coming in about the same time and all wanting a drink. So that will save some hassle in my day.
I also had a very good conversation with the Superintendent this week. He came in my classroom the day after the school board meeting and said that the night before I had received many compliments from colleagues about the preparedness of the incoming 3rd grade students. That was a huge compliment and made me feel really good. We don't often get to hear the flip side. Then at the end of the week he showed up for the PTO meeting so as he left I asked if I could chat with him for a couple of minutes. I addressed a couple of my concerns about what was going on this year. He really made me feel like he was listening and not in that politician way. I think he has some concerns as well, and is trying to be an observer at this point. We'll see what happens over time. Anyhow with that super full week who wouldn't be worn out?? This soup is the one I plan to make this weekend. I am drinking lots of tea and taking my vitamins. Hopefully, I can get over this soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment