May 12, 2015

So far... this week....

One of my favorite cousins generously posted this post about me. It was very nice to be acknowledge by administration. It was also from the administrator I like and respect which made it mean more. It is a very busy time of year. We had a field trip last week and are attempting to complete our state assessments in a short window of time.  Usually we have the students test earlier in the year. This year because of the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium  the upper grades all must take we are far behind schedule. It is truly unfortunate because our students are very tired by this time of year. It is difficult to keep them motivated for assessments. The usual bribery doesn't work.  Sigh.
This SBAC test has been a nightmare for our state. The provider they used to access the assessment failed to have enough server space for everyone to access. They had to add servers. It sounds like our state may sue the service provider. I don't know but it was a pretty epic fail. Most of the states districts refused to continue with the test this year. It is too bad our students are being asked to continue with it. They have been testing for several weeks with continuous freezing, loss of data, and shutdowns. It is plain  old fashioned  "WRONG"!  I hope this data is not used against the teachers because it is completely invalid.

My incompetent colleague has been moved to another grade level next year. So that is a relief. I can only hope that this person isn't replaced by someone of equal or greater incompetence.  Think kind thoughts for me. We all know changes are in the air for next year. Slowly and incrementally we get bits of information. I think they are waiting for finalized budget cuts before they share the rest of the changes. I just wish it wasn't such a well kept secret.

Warning: Vomit Discussion Ahead.
I am not starting my week off well. I was certain that I had the beginnings of a UTI yesterday. So I put a call in to our Rural Health Clinic. The doctor had just returned from a ten day hiatus. Luckily they called me and squeezed me in today's schedule. I planned to be tough and work go to the Dr. and then return to work. Then last night the vomiting started. It's the time when I really wish I wasn't a grown up. Seriously. Mom's ability to clean up after their children....well we all owe them another thank you after Mother's Day. Anyhow, keeping out the steam cleaner wasn't a great way to spend my evening.   So after my Dr.'s visit today I was provided with antibiotics and told to go rest. I am fighting an infection and a little virus. YAY ME! It took 2 hours of waiting in the Dr.'s Office for a 5 minute consultation.  Oh and lest I forget.... the only time I wish I was a dude is when I have to provide a urine sample. Seriously, couldn't they modify this process for the ladies. Sigh.  Just a few weeks left of school I CAN DO THIS!

1 comment: