Potty training. My little muffin buddy next door wanted to come for a visit. However, they are in the midst of potty-training. Unscheduled visits or travel is difficult during these times. So he came over with his potty and his bucket of trains and toy cars. It took some negotiations to achieve sitting on the potty. We finally made a deal that if I set my timer for five minutes at the end he would get on the potty for five minutes. Very intense negotiations with a lot of whining. The deal was made we tried to shake hands but gave each other high fives in agreement instead. So the timer went off. He sat on the potty as agreed and then success. It was a very proud moment. We had to call home and share the success. I flushed the evidence, but trust me it occurred. Then back to playing with toy cars and trains.
I spent all afternoon at school planning for the next couple of weeks. I think I am mostly ready. I have some to finish but it is mostly ready to go. We only have school for two days next week. I sent a message last night to one of the writers of our math curriculum to address issues that my grade level keeps whining about. He confirmed what I had been saying to my team. I could tell he couldn't figure out why I was asking such a ridiculous question. What seems to happen every year at my grade level in particular is a fight to challenge students. I do not have the attitude that students can't do something. I have the attitude that they can if I give them what they need to be successful. Every training I have been to the last few years has been telling teachers to change your mindset about what students can and cannot do. I have some that will struggle the entire year yet I know they will make significant growth. You know why they will struggle? Because learning isn't always easy. That is why it is called learning. If you aren't experiencing a little struggle you aren't learning. This isn't just a part of education but a part of life. Sometimes the learning is more of a struggle than other times. Sometimes it comes easier. There are eight mathematical practices. One of them is about persevering to solve a problem. In other words not giving up. So I have to work hard to give students the right tools to help them persevere in problem solving. This sometimes means more work for me. We have to meet at the level students are able to achieve and push a little higher.
I guess what I am saying over all is I don't want to hear any more whining from the grownups about the curriculum being too hard. Believe and maybe they will achieve.
No comments:
Post a Comment