January 27, 2016

Math Lesson

I had my Dad read the Teacher's Guide for one of my upcoming math lessons. He said " I think this is over-complicating things."  It does seem so sometimes. Thinking it is over-complicating things is why you hear a lot of criticism of  Common Core. So my curriculum is not a "Common Core" Curriculum it is just high quality. I tried to explain to him what the goal was in the lesson. People who are natural Mathematicians see connections and relationships between numbers. They are able to compose and decompose in ways they are unaware that they do it comes so automatically to them. So we try to teach all students how to use those strategies to more efficiently compose and decompose numbers. I told my Dad  "you were probably taught the standard algorithm." He was and luckily for him he had a natural mathematical ability. He said I don't think anyone I went to school with didn't see those relationships between numbers.  Sigh. Maybe they did maybe they didn't. When Dad was in school more things were done hands on at home. They would be measuring in the kitchen, cutting fabric, building, and may other things that parents would have shown their children how to do things mathematically.  That doesn't happen as much now. My students rarely see even coins and dollars. This is the nature of where we live and the time we live in. Those every day tasks that use number sense have gone by the wayside. So now we must teach it. The students that gain that ability to compose and decompose numbers are far more successful in mathematics than those who struggle. So it is something we work on the entire year.  Place value and number sense. Everything builds off of those important skills.

So despite my Dad thinking we are over complicating things I plan on teaching it anyway. I know it works :). I know how important it is for students to have that foundation before they go on to the next grade level.  annd.....NO I HAD NOOO Idea how passionate I would become about Mathematics education.

No comments:

Post a Comment