Our state has some of the worst rankings in Education nationwide. Why is this? There are several factors in my opinion. There is a huge teacher shortage. Long term subs fill in many positions and under-qualified educated teachers are hired. The second can be difficult to terminate. Especially if the union gets involved. Yes the unions are always a factor in keeping poor quality educators. The money. There has become so many restrictions on what money can be spent on and where it can be spent that schools are not able to use it for what they actually need. Rural communities needs are very different that the cities needs. The lawmakers don't see the difference. We allow the bar to be set low. If you want to see ridiculousness.... raise the bar. Have a higher standard and expectation. Then watch the whining and crazy begin. Education must be a priority to parents and families. If it is not something they value there is only so far I can get their student. I think we even have inexperienced under-qualified administrators. They don't know the questions to ask or the standard to hold.
So those are a few of my ideas on that. We were invited to attend a training tomorrow. It looks to be a high quality training with an excellent trainer. There were only a few slots open so I said I would go. I am interested. The other part of me says... You have laundry, dishes, papers to grade, etc etc and you are tired and you want to go to a training??? I also have Chinese New Year and a Valentine's Party to prepare for. The first I have a lot of parent help with. Every year I have been here I have had a Chinese student. It isn't why I do it but I think it makes it more important. Well I need to feed my neighbors dogs and rabbits before they get really cranky !
I woke up to a small skiff of snow this morning but not enough to shovel (yay!). It warmed the air temperatures and it rose to about 30 today so that was nice and warm.
No comments:
Post a Comment