January 29, 2017

Cowboys, Poetry, Western Folklife.

I caught a bug. Surprise Suprise!  I finally went on a much needed grocery store trip yesterday. My options were getting pretty sad.  I went in the evening on a cold night! I didn't have much competition at the grocery store. That was great because I knocked down my list pretty quickly.

I went in today to work on planning for next week. I spent 2 hours at school and felt like I accomplished very little. It is a little difficult to plan next week. The events for Western Folklife Week are interrupting regular class time. It was very nice that they tweaked the schedule so that we didn't miss our prep time. It is sooo strange to have prep time at school. In my last workplace it was before or after school. Then these times were often taken up by meetings. Having prep during the school day helps so much. You can tweak your lesson for the next day right after a lesson.  You are still fresh and not exhausted at the end of the day. Also, you aren't getting all your ducks in a row for the whole school day before school.

I have a parent that is driving me crazy. This is not a helicopter parent it is a hovercraft parent. The reality is I cannot tweak the entire school day to fit the needs of one student. If the student doesn't get what they want, when they want it, how they want it...etc. It is my fault for not meeting the needs of this student.  There are just a few others students in my classroom I need to be concerned about. Just a few. Of course this child is way more brilliant than the rest of the class. (ahem average) I need to make exceptions based on this (average) exceptional child.

Mom and Dad are on their way down for the National Poetry Gathering. They will have a busy week listening to some old school western and I don't even know what else.  To prepare for their arrival I went and bought ketchup. I also have cowboy beans in one crock pot, and a roast in the other. I need to finish by getting some sheets on their bed etc! While they are listening to Poetry I have been working with my students to prepare their own poetry. They will choose their favorite to share on Wednesday. The other 2nd grade classes and parents will be around to listen to them read their poems. It has been fun to read their poetry. Some of them are quite original.

Well, I'm off to finish all my chores...

No comments:

Post a Comment