Speaking of school supplies 2nd graders are addicted to pencil sharpeners. As much as I try to reward them for having something resembling a pencil by the end of the week...know that your little darlings are wasting them by sharpening them down to a nub. Their other favorite thing to do is pull of the eraser and the metal end cap that holds the eraser and sharpen both ends. This is endless fun and you can show it off to your pals who will replicate your ingenuity. Extra pencils never hurt. When teachers ask you for yellow number 2 pencils, we aren't asking you to spend more money, we would just like a product that lasts longer than one day! Those big beautiful pink erasers you send. Yeah... after they sharpen their pencil they like to stab it. Then they spend a little time spinning it on the end of their pencil before stabbing it into little pieces. Do I catch them doing this? Yes. Do I stop them? Yes. Do they go back to it the second I am addressing another issue. Yes.
I know school supply lists can be daunting and feel like a lot of money. I know sometimes what is requested is way too much. However, most of the time, most of us are asking for what they need. If you don't buy it we have to buy it. I spend a lot of money on your students every year to make their learning fun and purchase items needed to teach but not bought by our employers. I belong to teacher pages where the teachers share the deals we find. We do this to help each other out because we know we have to be bargain hunters. I do find deals and bargains that can benefit my students. I try to take at least one purchase off the school supply list every year and get it for my students. This year I bought their composition notebooks. It helps me because they are more uniform and when I say get out your purple notebook everyone is on the same page. I also purchase homework folders for my students every year. I've asked for folders and you know how many are returned to me? Maybe 5-7 if I am lucky. I purchase a much needed school supply item because I know many parents will decide there is too much on the list and get a couple of the items. Then your child is in a panic that they do not have what their peers have and what I've asked them to pull out of their desk to use. I've learned to have extras because many students will not be sent with what they need.
I don't begrudge purchasing items for my students that will make their learning more meaningful through the year. I do kind of feel begrudging when you couldn't buy them an eraser on the list. So, I have a stash that I purchase through bargain hunting. If I sat down and calculated how much I spent on school every year... I think I'd have a panic attack. Last year I started a crowd funding project and felt guilty and ended up canceling it. I went to a few yard sales and found a couple of the items I needed. So please look at the school supply list and see what bargains you can find.
Speaking of money I was more than a little disgusted about a crowd funding page I saw. It came as a surprise to me because the people asking for funds had just spent $50,000 dollars having a luxury item installed in their house. They have children in very expensive sports with a lot of travel. Then you make a choice which would at first appearance seem to be selfless. However, their selflessness gives them opportunity to be self-righteous and cast aspersions on others who are not doing as they do. It put a bad taste in my mouth.
I think as teachers we must be careful to not stick our hand out begging. I have a good job with decent benefits, I have enough to take care of my own needs, and a little left over after breaking the bank for school. I don't want to take for granted what parents do to help their kids and the school. Even if they are in the minority. That shouldn't be expected every time. Just please buy school supplies.
Which brings me to homework. In primary education I don't think kids need a lot of homework. It isn't beneficial. What they do need to do is READ. I have heard all of the reasons why you can't make time for it in your life. I don't want to hear it anymore. Turn off everything and read.
No comments:
Post a Comment