May 16, 2018

Inevitable Change

16 more days of school. I'm tired, they're tired, everybody is tired. However, tired looks different in 7-8 year olds. It more closely resembles hyperactivity. Our stupid... our wonderful state test vendor had technical issues as my students were trying to complete the "EVERYTHING REVOLVES AROUND THIS BY STATE LAW" reading test. I  e-mailed my principal and she said  "What do you think." Uhhhh that's why I am e-mailing you lady, I don't have the power to make those decisions. Then I found out the same technical issues were occurring with all classes that were testing today. We should have been told to STOP!  I don't know the outcome yet, but I can say it was super frustrating. GRRRRRRR

I find myself doing tedious things to overcome my stress. Why does something monotonous help? I worked on our potential Father's Day project. I usually do NOT do a Father's Day Project as Father's Day falls after school is out. I had some pretty great dads this year so I thought I'd do it this year. I call it a POTENTIAL project because I've never attempted this craft before and I hope it turns out. I will post here the results... or lack of results.

This time of year it is hard to keep track of everything on the "To-Do" list. We have a lot of End-of-Year paperwork and assessing to do. I wish I could clone myself and find a clone who really LOVED the paperwork part of this job.

You know... when I put a note to myself on my lesson plan. I really wish I'd remember that note. Like the pre-planned Fire Drill at the end of the day. Yeah, that would've been great to remember. My students were absolutely NUTS by the time that was over. I had to break up some really Dynamic Teams. These teams thought it would be great to break most of the rules of standing in the line. We tried jumping jacks, push ups, sit-ups, and bur-pees.  It was all to no avail. Our next testing day... I am going to give them a brief, but mighty visit to the outdoors.

I did remember my Practicum Student coming in for the last time to say goodbye to the students. I hope I get to see her again, she was wonderful. I think she will be a great teacher.

Tonight I am having trouble winding my brain down. We spent our early release time sorting students into classes for next year. It is a difficult chore, you have to consider students levels, behaviors, special ed, special needs, Students on Reading plans, Boy to Girl Ratios, students in the referral process, numbers of students in each class, and personalities. It is a huge job. I may owe a teacher a couple bottles of wine next year. Maybe a case. Maybe a truckload. 😳

June 1st is a Kindergarten Teacher's retirement party. She is my neighbor. I feel a little bad after this long career not many people have signed up to attend her Retirement Party. UGGH, I am hoping people are waiting for non-negative reasons.  Anyhow golf courses aren't my scene. I can suck it up for awhile and attend.

There is also a lot of rumors flying about changes possibly occurring in our district. Our superintendent retired. A new one was hired. He has been visiting schools and looked closely at surveys filled out by teachers. He also replaced his former position with a person fairly new to our district. The rumors have to do with Administrators being moved around. It is possible. There have been many  teachers at our school have transferring out this year. It was a rough year.  We shall see. Change is inevitable.



No comments:

Post a Comment