August 31, 2018

1st Week!

I made it through the 1st week with kids. The principal made changes to help keep parents from running amok through the building before and after school. Meaning that they had to drop them off in front and pick them up out front. There was loud push back from the worst offenders. However, the majority of the parents were grateful we were trying to secure our building. There are always a couple that feel they are the exception to every rule which is hard.  Hmmmm... I wonder how that first PTA meeting will go after these changes.  When you are trying to move about 900 kids before and after school, with a campus not designed for that population, you can imagine adding parents to the hallways makes travel chaotic.   

I have a student this year I was warned could be a bit of a noodle. I hadn't had too many problems from the student other than a short attention span. However, on the carpet during a story I looked up to see this student's finger inserted way up the nose. The following Dialogue occurred:

Me to student-  "M------  Stop please!"
Student- "No!"  ...and continues to root around in there
Me:  "Please stop picking it  now!"
Student: "NO! I have a rock in there!"
Me:  (Waving arms back and forth)  "Then definitely Stop! Please! "
Student:  continues...
Me:  (Waving arms back and forth) "Stop Now! I will send you to the nurse she will get it out! Just STOP PLEASE!"
Student: "NO! I think I can blow it out!"
Me: "NO PLEASE DON'T BLOW IT OUT!!! The NURSE WILL GET IT!"
Student: blows rock out of nose....shows me the rock in hands... "See I told you I could blow it out."
Me:  "How did you get a Rock in your NOSE?"
Student: shrugs shoulders "I don't know"
Me: while attempting not to gag "Throw the rock in the trash, wash your hands with soap and water, and go to the nurse for her to check your nose."
Student: throws the rock in the trash, after touching every surface between the trash and the sink, washes hands, and goes to the nurse.
Me: tries to block this out or I will have the whole class gagging with me.  "And this is why we don't play with the rocks on the playground kids! "

Just when I thought I'd  said all the words I'd never say like "Don't lick your chair"  A student gives me a new one. There ya go an Auspicious beginning to a new school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment