July 12, 2011

Summer

Well... I am still on vacation but honestly I wish I were working. I imagine I will get back to work and wish I were on vacation. Anyhow I am finding out a bit more about the curriculum we have available. Some of it I feel is very out-dated and I hope we can move on from that. We shall see. The handwriting book used is....D-nealian handwriting. Designed to be a scaffold between print and cursive. We have a typical basal reader but it is seriously old and bits and pieces and this and that are missing. UGGH. Then we have Saxxon math A math program heavy on worksheets. VOWAC is the phonics/spelling program. The more I found out about the curriculum the more I realized that this teacher does WORKSHEETS FOR EVERYTHING! YIKES!! I am not saying these programs are poor quality.. there is just TOO MANY WORKSHEETS!!! How can SCIENCE be fun if it is done on a WORKSHEET!!! I can't take the WORKSHEET MADNESS! Okay you get the idea... Anyhow It will be interesting to see what we can change and improve upon.

I won't be there but the Principal is coming down for a meeting with the staff to discuss next year. Sounds like they have not found a 4th teacher. So I am not sure how they will arrange that. So my co-teacher is addressing the major questions I have. I know I will have more. I am madly trying to read through my Teacher's Survival Guide To help me think about things I may have forgotten or never thought of. I have another book a bit different than that one I will look at next. I get brain overload and overwhelmed. So we shall see what we shall have and make do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment