November 8, 2012

The Learning Continues

I had my class this week which was a strain on my brain. It was good though. We worked on learning the basics of computer programming. The idea is to bring it back to our students to expose them to programming. Maybe one or two will pick up the language of programming and run with it. I am fairly certain if I start my students on this they will quickly bypass my ability to help them. Luckily I know where to get help. The difficult part is finding time in the schedule to make time for this.  I was thinking about how many interruptions we have in our students learning in public schools. Many things that have NOTHING to do with learning. It is frustrating. It is amazing our students make as much progress as they do.

I cannot emphasize enough how IMPORTANT reading is. If you have a child beginning to read you can't stop it one day and not pick it back up for three months and blame the teacher for their lack of ability to read. You have to practice, practice, practice.  I feel bad for this student because they are falling behind their peers quickly. Their peers had the advantage in that they practiced reading all summer long. It made a HUGE difference as you can imagine. Read signs, cereal boxes, anything and everything that crosses their path. Reading is EVERYTHING! 

The wind blew the cold into town today. It blew so hard the playground fence was covered in tumbleweeds. It looked pretty funny. On my drive to and from class I only took out one jackrabbit. That was a nice change. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow. I hope so I enjoy how the white brightens up the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment