Neuroscience students from a state university came today to teach our students about the brain. The high school and junior high students were fascinated by the presentation. They had a real human brain with spinal cord attached, a few mouse brains, and a goat brain for our students to look at. They discussed the jobs the different parts of the brain do. The presenters were great for the upper grades but didn't quite explain it for the younger grades. I think you can use the same language but with examples young students can relate to. I interrupted a few times which I am sure was really annoying but I could tell it was going straight over the little guys heads. Oh well, it was an experience and it will probably help them make connections to learning later. They had our presentation after the older kids which was very good.
Our lunch lady/aide likes to read the dictionary. One of my high school student aides was telling me she writes some excellent poetry and used to share interesting words she had read in the dictionary. So we've made her a little "Word of the Week" corner with a sign and box. We are going to do it "Balderdash" style. If you've ever played this board game you know that you have a real word but make up fake definitions. Then you have to guess which definition is correct. We are working on the honor system that students won't use modern technology or old school dictionaries to get the real definition. I just have to get some treats as a reward for one lucky winner a week. I think it will be a fun addition to the year.
Tomorrow I have my yearly evaluation. It is supposed to be way more often than that but apparently we don't follow the law around here. Anyhow, I am really dreading this. It isn't because I am not doing a good job, but that I don't feel my boss has the barest grasp of what I do every day. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, you never know.
We continued with our reading of "Detectives in Togas" one of my student aides asked if she could borrow the book when we were done. I thought that was kind of funny but it is history taught in a fun way. I had a couple of adult visitors in my classroom in the last couple of days. They were very complimentary of what they saw in the room reflected in the anchor charts and vocabulary. That was very nice to hear. I have to keep on going even when I get discouraged.
No comments:
Post a Comment