Where has time gone. The past few weeks have kind of flown by. Spring Fever has sprung. The students have so many activities going on it is difficult in school, they are tired. I am starting to feel better again and I am fairly certain I figured out what was triggering my lung problems. Our grey water has been backing up more and more and they didn't fix it. The lunch lady told the principal she was going to make a voo-doo doll of the principal and the superintendent if they didn't get it fixed. Apparently this carried some weight with them and they called the plumbers. Of course the only time to do some nasty stinky plumbing is during school hours. Right? Yes, for sure!
So as they were plumbing this toxic water smell wafted through the school. I went out to the lunchroom and lost my voice in about 5 minutes. I would smell it periodically and didn't realize it was this that was affecting me. They rotor-rooted and cleared out the worst of it. One of the pumps is still not working correctly and this summer they will have to drain the entire line. I am just sooo glad there is progress and that I can go home having a little energy left for my life because I can BREATH! Breathing is not over-rated. If you have ever been oxygen deprived you will completely understand the drain this has on your body. You don't sleep well, are sluggish, and everything is just a little harder. Now that I am coming out the other side of this I realize how much it was draining me.
I also bought a air-purifier for my classroom and I think that has helped a lot along with being able to open the windows because the weather is getting nicer. That is also a bonus because our heat still is not fixed.
I had the students do their reading tests this week and one student in particular whined a lot about it. Most of the students want to because they want their reading level to rise so they can read higher books. They don't like it if their levels go down. I was trying to figure out why this student was complaining so much and then she finally let me know. she was almost in tears " I don't want my level to go up because then I will be too high and won't get to read all the good books I want to read in the other levels and there are some good books, and I won't be able to read them" SNIFFF SNIFF! I started laughing she's the only one who would worry her level would go up too high! Laughter of course was the incorrect response so it had to be tempered with a hug. I finally said "okay if your reading level goes up, you can take any of the other books home to read." She'd have those lower level books read in the 45 minute drive home :)! Anyhow it made me chuckle. She is a great reader and has an oustanding vocabulary.
We have started reading as a class "Detectives in Togas" this is a fictional story about Ancient Rome and seven boys at a grammar school. The story was inspired by an inscription found in 1936 by Explorers. Inscribed in a childish hand was "Caius Asinus Est" Which is translated to Caius is a donkey's behind. The book sensors it further to "Caius is a dumbell". Anyhow, the book is teaching the students a bit about Ancient Rome and the Roman Empire in an age appropriate manner. It was a reminder for me how corrupt, without morals, and evil this Empire was. There are a lot of correlations to today that are kind of scary to think about. The students are really enjoying the book even the little ones. It may be quite above their level but I think more and more kids need a balance between grade level work and challenges above that. How can vocabulary increase by much if you never hear higher language? Anyhow, it is a fun read and I will share more as we continue.
Over spring break they are coming to tear out drywall and replace it. So I will come back in time to put my classroom back together for the third time this year ! This weekend I went to hang out with a friend that lives a little further in the boonies. There isn't internet or cell phone service available when I go there which is a blessing. I can leave work behind which is healthy!
I am looking forward to spring break and leaving town. My goal is to see more trees and water. A very achievable goal if I head north!
No comments:
Post a Comment