So the "banana bread experiment" was a fifty percent failure and maybe forty percent success. The first batch greeted the trash can. The second batch is edible. Not as flavorful as I would have liked but it is okay. A little butter helps. So there ya go. I have more bananas so I may attempt it again.
Today I had the lunch lady/aide make my class some grits. We've been reading about them in Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski. So this morning they got to try them. None of them hated them and some asked if we could have them every day. They also got to try molasses and pure sugar cane granules. The molasses was definitely disliked by some and loved by some. The sugar of course was loved by all. The sugar was grown and harvested in Florida so that made it more meaningful to the story we just read. We've started our next "read aloud" and I read the first chapter today. What is wonderful is after reading the first chapter they didn't want me to stop. We read our "news magazine" today which was about the Chinese New Year. I found some links online that were about the same topic.
I just felt so good about today and the students learning. I think the difference is I am starting to feel well. In desperation I went to a health food store on Friday. I tried an essential oil concoction called OnGuard. I really think this helped a lot. My friend had been telling me about it all year but it just sounded a little "hokey" to me. I tried it and I noticed a difference sooo if you've been feeling sick for awhile or are around some major littler germ carriers. Give it a try.
I also implemented the new behavior program ClassDojo. The kids have really been focusing. Most of the parents have signed up to get their students behavior update online. I really hope it continues to work for them. If I am consistent it should be!
I am still thinking about my decision and I am giving it a little more time. I've invested so much of myself it is hard to think about leaving. I think a little more time will give me more experiences and probably make things a little clearer.
No comments:
Post a Comment