I've been thinking a lot lately about how many school days are interrupted for non-education related things. I guess it could be argued they are educational. When I look at how much we have to cover and how much time we have to cover it in it is frustrating to have interruptions. There are picture days, smokey the bear, bicycle safety, legos, assemblies, anti-tobacco assembly, it just goes on and on. I've been really frustrated this year because they keep scheduling things in the morning which is when the students are fresh and I try to do as much core content in the morning. Today kind of pushed me over the edge. An individual scheduled things without talking with any of the staff, or even the principal, or the unofficial principal (secretary). The principal is letting it happen with a slight schedule change. To me it shows a lack of respect for what we have to do at school. It isn't that I think the kids shouldn't have these opportunities. I just feel that our teach time is so valuable and precious because there is so little of it. I just wish everyone valued education. So many people talk like they do, but then everything they do suggests otherwise. If I started adding up the hours that were non-core content teaching hours. We would miss several days of school. Frustrating.
I was looking closer at student test scores today. With one the scores didn't match what I see in the classroom. I think I need to hover near this student while testing is going on because the attention span is so short. Lack of sleep, lack of healthy food, lack of structure, lots of sugar make it difficult for the child to stay focused. There may be some other issues as well. I just wonder how much better it could be if the above things were taken care of. I noticed some other things about students as well. So It was good to take a closer look at it. I told my mom today the students that were high had nothing to do with my teaching, and the students who are low, it is all my fault. At least that is how administration makes me feel.
I was asked by another district this week to come and meet the principal. No pressure involved just come and have a meeting. I will have to do that. If I knew that principal would be in the district for awhile it would be a stronger pull. The principal retired once but came out of retirement to help clean up some messes. It is good to make connections even if no change comes from the meeting.
I had one boy struggling finding something he enjoyed reading. He picked up the biography of John Glenn and really enjoyed it. I hope he picks up some more biographies. He likes adventure books which really good biographies are an adventure. Biographies seem to be the new favorite thing. Well after every horse book ever written.
I was listening to a student read the biography of Sacajawea today and here is how our conversation went.
"she was married at 16 years old!" student
"That happened a lot back then, too young huh!" me
"Yes, that is how old high school student is!" student
"She shouldn't get married till she's like 49" student.
Me chuckle, I was wondering if she meant the h.s. student or Sacajawea. The kids make the frustrating days more fun!
Update: Forgot to share we are on a "boil water" notice until Saturday. We'll see if that is extended. This is due to a water leak that became a flood, and hopefully doesn't lead to a town water shortage. So apparently this affects water quality so yay! Ahem! I had some left over bottled water from the last time something like this occurred at work. So the students could drink that. The excitement continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment