April 18, 2013

Saloons, Cigarettes, and Coyotes!

I knew the saloon was opening up for the weekend but I optimistically thought oh maybe they won't stay too long on Thursday night. I really wasn't up for leaving town right after school this week. I was pooped so I thought ahhh I can deal. I left school at about five and it was open the music was blaring and the party had started.  I had stopped at the cafe to get dinner made by someone else and ate my dinner and tried to relax. I made a few phone calls and talked with my Dad. He said boy you sound all stuffed up are coughing. That is the cigarette smoke doing its job. He suggested I run down to the school and get my air purifier. Well DUH! Why didn't I think of that. So I ran down there and if nothing else on its highest setting it drowns most of the noise. I can do this for one night. I am heading east for the weekend.

I had a crazy off kilter week this week.  It seemed like the plan was no plan at all because the plan was altered without warning  every day. I finally surrendered to the insanity. I had a person show up to do student testing, an assembly that I knew the day but not the time, a very brief visit from the principal, snow storms, picture day, a 4-H lego activity. I think there was more but I forget now.  On the upside my lovely tea thermos I bought at www.teavana.com kept my tea warm on those cold days.  

One of my students was very sad after finishing the biography of Daniel Boone. She informed me that she needed more biographies. I did order more and she moved on to Milton Hershey, Thomas Edison, and another one I forget right now. She was really quite unhappy to discover that she couldn't find the biography of Davy Crockett on the shelf. I am so in trouble for that! She had to settle for Florence Nightingale. Which after starting to read it wasn't too bad after all. You really never know what book or type of book will make reading more fun for students. When they find the thing that excites them it is really fun and rewarding for me to see.  I also found a series of horse books that are about horses owned by historical figures. So for my horse-loving students this has been  amazing as well. One of the boys I have had trouble finding a book for is reading the biography of John Glenn and seems quite happy about it.  

So this weekend is another coyote roundup. It is quite a clever way to take care of varmints on your ranch. You actually  can create an event that you even charge for. Interesting! So I have heard that coyote pelts are selling for about 45$ so maybe that makes a difference. I don't know anything for sure other than coyote roundups always come with nights at the saloon and a lot of cigarettes.  I am excited to be exiting town and enjoying some fresh air in another part of the state.  

No comments:

Post a Comment