I've said many times the past couple of weeks Please turn off your imaginary motor, put away your imaginary bow and arrow, guitar, trumpet, and a variety of other instruments and tools. The imaginary bow and arrow has been killing a lot of imaginary flying things in the sky. He must be quite the marksman. I just asked that he leave it in his backpack until recess. We'll see how that goes. I've really had to crack down hard on procedures in my class. I finally got a little help from a colleague and a sent a couple students next door when they couldn't get it together. I am hoping this will get boring enough it will reduce occurrences. You never know what challenges students are going through. I do know that they are making me tired.
I have continued with my daily fruit smoothies with pea protein powder. This usually takes me through to lunch without any cravings other than water or some more tea for that caffeine boost. Several of us teachers volunteered to be "secret-pals" for the year. My secret pal left me a "welcome back" gift, and another day a bar of dark chocolate. I'm feeling pretty guilty about my secret pal abilities . So I ran to the store and left a little something in their box. It felt pretty pathetic and lacked creativity. I need to work on this!
I remembered this week about a class I had taken over a year ago that I forgot to submit. Then I realized that after that I only need two more credits to move on the pay scale. I am taking a Friday class that will make up another credit. Then they offered a once a month "book club" plus some extended application of learning for a credit. I think I signed up for the book club in time. So I should be good. What made me decide to take them though... had NOTHING to do with the credit. That is a bonus. Why I decided to take them is that I have had this instructor for many classes. She is amazing. She does a ton of research about whatever resource she brings to us before she even thinks of introducing it. She makes sure it is backed up by quality research as well. I always know whatever she is going to introduce will make me a better teacher. I just don't always have enough time. So I continue to add to my class load this fall. Which is okay maybe I'll take a break in February... or June definitely June :)!
Tomorrow I am heading south to the big city. My neighbor and I are riding together. Their child has been sick and isn't getting well. They tried local medical care and decided to head to a pediatrician down south. We don't have a pediatrician here just general practitioners. I think some of them are good but sometimes you need a little more. Anyhow so we will do a Costco run. I'm so excited I've been making a list in my head. I need to get my cooler ready to go. I still get to sleep in a little in the morning before we head that way. It probably won't be a fun drive 3 1/2 hours with a sick kid. We are hoping he falls asleep.
My principal has more confidence in me than I have in myself. What is weird is I am not used to a principal having confidence in me. She sent some students from a lower grade up into my class for math because they were above level and bored. I have the majority of huge behavior challenges because of her confidence in my ability to handle it. I am just saying a prayer for myself to handle these issues every day. Oh my! Teaching in a public school involves so much more than teaching. Sentences come out of your mouth that you could never imagine yourself saying. Such as " is it appropriate to draw private body parts on the back of our spelling test or anywhere at school?" "no?" Siggghhhh. It was quite detailed and we do encourage adding details in drawing or writing to make them more interesting. Be careful what you ask for be very careful.
So it goes. I managed to get a load of laundry in the washer and a load of dishes in. I am feeling accomplished. Oh.. by the way Dad we hooked up the cold to the hot and the hot to the cold on the washer. For now I just turn it to Hot to wash it Cold! That may need to be changed someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment