THIS is the best argument I have read against the Common Core State Standards. The incredibly high cost to states and districts. As with most bureaucracies I don't think they really consider the cost ramifications when making decisions. The change of curriculum which involves everything from text books to software. The changes in assessment. I mean it really just continues on. The technology needed to implement it. I hope that districts make the investment in the right places but I'm not optimistic about that.
Today was a crazy day I think our high was in the low twenties today and just a minute ago I checked our temperature and it was three degrees Fahrenheit. So nice and toasty basically. I don't know if it was the weather, a full moon, post Super Bowl sugar crashes, but the kids were wound tightly today!
You want to know the biggest lie teachers hear from parents? "We never have problems with him/her at home." If you think your student's teacher believes that one you are delusional. We don't buy it. We know you probably ignore a lot of behavior at home that we just can't overlook in a large classroom where a lot of other children are trying to tolerate your little darling. Parents just please PARENT your kids. If you don't know how there are classes, resources, self help books, and friends. Oh yes and if you hear the same criticism of your child from the teacher, principal, lunch lady, secretary, other teachers, your parents, etc. Your child IS having a behavior problem. Not everyone around can be wrong about your kid.
I have some smart kids in my class. I was doing an assessment today and realized I need to kick it up a notch for some of them. I have some thinking to do this weekend. In "government" schools as my cousin so fondly calls them. The higher kids are the survivors and the low ones need sooo much more from us and demand so much more that well we don't offer enrichment like we should. Do you think my principal has asked me one time this year what I am going to do to enrich the education of the high kids? Nope. Has she asked me how I am going to help the low kids? Yes so many times I've lost count. This isn't okay. It is just reality.
No, we don't way that we NEVER have problems with our kids at home, but one thing is for sure ... We DO NOT have as much trouble with our child as his teacher seems to have.
ReplyDeleteHmmm I suppose it is possible because at home 20 + other children don't have to put up with your kid. Is your child's coach, church, librarian, grocery store clerk, teacher etc... is annoyed by your child. Then you have a problem. A good teacher will have HIGH expectations of your child so they can have academic success which will lead to success in life. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi, I was thinking about this and thought I should clarify a little more. I am speaking of the student that has behavior trouble every place they visit in life. If your child truly only has behavior problems in their classroom it could be a personality difference. Do we always like every person we meet in life? Sometimes personalities just do not mesh well. School is a heavily structured environment and home life usually is not that structured. School needs to be because we have a lot of children to serve.
ReplyDelete