Pray for teachers. Please. In one corner we are talking to the child whose mother may have ended her life with pills when she was three and she "doesn't even know what she liked." In another corner we are working with a student who has every excuse in the world to not do a thing and a parent that backs him up. Then wants the grade adjusted because effort doesn't always equal ability. The bully that is learning to bully from, home? It has to be from home right? The quiet one in the corner that you have to beg to speak. The English-Language learner that looks at you in panic every time you call on them. Please don't call on them. The student that is obsessed with food. The student isn't malnourished and you can't figure it out. Until you find out the cupboards are locked at home and food is taken out of their hands and eaten by the parents. The student that cries whenever the teacher has to leave because being left in the classroom with the "scary" sub just fills them with anxiety and they can't even think. The student whose eyes fill with panic when you say the word "test" or "writing" and you have to find a way to reassure them they can do this. Just getting words on a page that make "sense". Is the most amazing accomplishment. The students whose eyes sometime sparkle and sometimes look so flat and dead and not there, You are chilled wondering what put that look there.
The parents oh the parents that say it is "your job, the schools job" everybody but their own job to teach their children. We have to attempt to teach to them all and raise the bar and have them excel when mom was arrested the night before. We have to raise the bar and push them and inspire them but their parent wants you to make exceptions for them and lower the bar and lower expectations. Why won't you "bend?" Teachers you "suck" man. You're not preparing us for life. Why do I have to learn this anyway? We want you to think for yourselves. To question. To be problem solvers. We want you to grow up and flourish and feed your families. We want you to have a bigger dream for yourself than the one we dream for you.
There is so much push back in today's society. I will be evaluated by a person who doesn't even understand what I do every day. I will be evaluated and my job will be based on this evaluation. I am automatically docked by my school rated even if I have high scoring students. I am supposed to think about the "students needs" yet am handed more an more paperwork every day. It's all about the kids right? Its all about the kids...right. I have to make thousands upon thousands of decisions every day and not make a mistake. Because I mistake could crush the spirit of a child. The responsibility of teaching is overwhelming. And now, now I have to teach them how to have manners and good character, because where else are they going to learn it? I have to teach them respect, self-control, self -discipline, kindness and compassion. Where does my responsibility end society? I dream of teaching only the subject materials. You tell me it is my job to do more than that. I have 24 hearts in my classroom depending on me because many of them can't depend on anyone else. So please... pray for teachers.
Love this a lot Trisha. I am going to point to it from my blog.
ReplyDelete