February 7, 2015

Basket Day

Went and picked up my produce basket today. Now I have to make some zucchini bread because it is the only decent way to eat a zucchini.  The butter, sugar, and flour disguise the zucchini flavor. That is important. I wasn't really in a baking mood today but I'd better find it.   I also got some asparagus(ugh), butternut squash(yikes), cauliflower (ick), and purple potatoes(yum). That was the vegetable side of things. I sometimes wonder why I get this because I am horrible about eating most of my vegetables. Usually in my basket I receive just one or two items I don't care for.  Asparagus freezes well so  Mom will enjoy that. On the fruit side apples, pears, oranges, kiwi, tomatoes, and lemons. So it was the delicious side of the basket.

I don't know the outcome but SpEd parents were having a meeting today to discuss options they have as parents. Their students are not receiving services. I am glad the parents banded together from their end. I feel the teachers have done as much as we could from our end. The only step further we could take would be to go to a school board meeting. It could put our jobs in a precarious position to do so. We've gone through all of the appropriate channels regarding this situation. I hope there is a change. I had to send an e-mail to admin today. I feel like there are so many times you can have the same conversation without result. It is a frustration.

In other education related headaches. A team of three teachers at our school including myself volunteered to be part of a team for Gifted and Talented students to do an after school program funded by a grant. We asked for information, thought we had received what we needed, then asked more questions. We received vague responses. So we e-mailed very specific questions regarding the grant and funds for this program. The answers again were vague and so we declined to participate. It is sad that those students won't have this opportunity. We were very uncomfortable with how the money was being handled and didn't want our names on anything that might be shady.  So I am sure we will get the blame for not doing the program. I called our PTO president and said this is why we aren't doing it. If parents ask. I am sure parents will ask and the principal will say the teachers didn't want to do it they have too much going on etc. If you can't answer basic money related questions on a grant that you submitted the paperwork for and received the grant. Something isn't right.

So the saga at school continues. I owe my janitors some delicious treats because I let my students use glitter. I apologized but really that isn't enough. I don't know what I was thinking letting them use glitter. If I ever do again they will certainly not have as much glitter choice.  Like I said I owe the janitors some treats. Even that might not be enough of an apology.   Well, I had better sign off and go grate some zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment