February 4, 2015

The backpack incident and other entertainment

It has been an EmergenC week. I needed that extra vitamin c. I feel like I am getting a cold. I hope it doesn't turn into a full blown  cold. I drank a little too much EmergenC and Tea yesterday and was a little wired when I needed to be sleeping. So I plan to hit the hay a little earlier tonight.

I attended a meeting after school today attended by about 10-15 teachers. We were bringing our issues with the SpED department to administrations attention. AGAIN. If they don't change something up QUICKLY they could be in a lawsuit. I can't  believe how long they have allowed them to make excuses and not do their jobs. If teachers were this incompetent they would be on us like superglue. It is unbelievable.

I had a difficult student moved into my class because the parents felt like the other teacher was too "critical" of the student. It is interesting the reaction I've been getting from the parents because I have been pretty "critical" of the student as well. The student is a real poop but when I talk with the student my commands are immediately followed. If not there is an immediate consequence. The student is very respectful to me when I "lay down the law". However, it wears me out to have to keep my thumb on the kid all day.

There was a backpack incident today. I don't know what the student had in their brown bag for lunch. I just know what ever it was leaked out of the bag into the backpack and onto the floor. It smelled so bad we all were pinching our noses. I buzzed the office and asked for a trash bag ASAP. The janitor brought one in with a puzzled look on his face. I bagged the backpack and the student went home looking like a hobo carrying the back on his back.  I had to spray some freshener around but it was one of those stenches that just lingered.  This is one of those students it is a miracle anything makes it to school in the first place because of clumsiness, so they should never be given a brown bag. Heck a ziplock bag, plastic bag, just something somewhat leak proof. Just writing about it brings the smell back.

I read my students a poem every day. I read them one yesterday they begged me never to read again. I can't recall the title right now but when I do I will share. One of my students came up to me and said if we are being naughty you should punish us by reading that over and over again. They felt that strongly about it.  

One of my students noticed a cd on my desk and asked if we could listen to it. I said, "Sure it it Johann Sebastian Bach."  Then we had a short conversation about who he was. Johann has a piece that is in a lot of Halloween type movies I think maybe in the Munsters. Anyhow their eyes lit up when they heard that creepy organ playing. So the rest of the day we had to listen to Bach whenever we had an opportunity.  You just never know what kids will delight in.  

I have NOT I repeat NOT watched the movie FROZEN. I know I am in a minority group. However, I have successfully gotten sick of the music without having watched the movie. I know way more about the music than I should on a movie I have never seen.   I have a couple of students who are professional work avoiders.  If they put as much effort into doing it as they do avoiding it they could accomplish great things.   So today to the tune of  "Let it Go"  we sang to them  GET IT DONE!  They mostly got it done.  

January flew by and February promises to be a busy month. I am glad we have a long weekend in there because I will need it. We are on our third quarter of school. Amazing! I had a brief meeting with our principal yesterday with some things she wanted me to take back to our team. It was supposed to be with our team but they didn't show up. So I went over things with them. It wasn't very good because it needed to come from her.  What can you do.  

I feel like after 5 years of teaching I have a TON to learn still. However a 2nd year teacher came in today and said I want to come and watch you teach for a day I feel like I could learn so much from you. That made me feel really good.  She is a great teacher as well. I think we get tired, sick, and discouraged. Then we don't feel like we are doing anything right.  This year has been such a crazy year that it seems like I haven't been able to focus on student learning as much as I would like.  Meetings out the wazooo keep interrupting what I should be doing.  I left school on time today. Not because I didn't have a gazillion things to do. I left on time today because after getting their early and having a busy day I had nothing left to give. I will pay for it with a heavy work load this weekend.  So it goes.... G'nite

No comments:

Post a Comment