Happy Friday...and birthday to me! It was a busy fun day. Our amazing office staff decided to buy the staff lunch today. That was nice because I had brought myself a can of soup and a can opener for lunch.
This afternoon one of our secretaries walks in and asks a couple of my students to come out in the hallway for a moment. I don't ask questions and they come back in a couple minutes later with an amazing birthday gift.
It's made from wire coat hangers.
What made it even more special is that it was an unexpected surprise.
A parent was waiting for me by my classroom Monday morning. I had went to pick up some things from my school mail box and make some copies. I could see the stress in her face. I asked her if she was okay and she claimed she was fine. I said clearly you are not okay and asked what was going on. So she very embarrassingly told me her daughter has head lice. Oh boy. Well I'd been through this before. I was very sympathetic and walked her down to the nurse because I wasn't sure of our schools policy. Our very abrupt and normally impatient school nurse was very kind and offered suggestions. Anyhow the parent kept her child out of school that day to treat her and all that fun stuff. Needless to say I've been scratching my head every day since then. Sigh...
So another parent came in to volunteer today. It was super helpful. This kind person and her husband are raising a family members children. I don't know what the children have been through but I can tell she is really wanting to be the best parent she can be. It is amazing how many families are in this position of raising others children. It is tough to take that on. The awesome news is she is a competent, kind, helpful volunteer. YAY! Another mom stopped in to ask how she could help too! She has a little one so just asked to help with copies. PERFECT. Copies are the bane of my existence. Despite all the life lessons copying has taught me. Another mom really really would love to be in my classroom, every single minute, of my day, hovering over her child, and putting bubble wrap around any potential fall. I talked with another teacher after school and she suggested I put her in charge of something big, but not happening soon, that she could plan for. So I asked her to put together a plan and games for our Halloween Party. That was great advice. She doesn't have to help at school but she can still be involved in something fun. I hope this works! Whew
So I'm really glad no one was about to witness my clumsiness this evening. I made myself a hot cup of tea. I've been drinking a lot to help with my allergies. I put it in a large mug because I wanted to drink a lot of it. As I leaned in for my first sip I spilled on my chest, yelped, jumped and spilled in my lap. Yelped louder and longer set it on my floor ran to my bathroom pulling off garments to start soaking myself in water. I was walking a bit like a bronc rider after a serious 8 seconds. I managed to scrape my knee on the edge of my cedar chest as I wobbled around. So yeah.... that was entertaining. All that for a cup of tea.
I was talking with a friend this evening. I was discussing options for my birthday dinner. She as a stay at home mom thought I should go out or at least order steak delivered. Well as it is not only my birthday but Mexico's Independence Day I'd been craving Mexican food since my cousin-in-law suggested it. I thought about the Mexican place right down the road but it has had a terrible smell when I've driven by. Another option is in the "barrio" and by myself after dark it isn't an option. That's what my Spanish friends call that area. The other place is on the other side of town. What the bottom line was though... I wanted something a little spicy that would make my nose run. I thought about Taco Bell but that causes another kind of running. My friend says to me "I think it's cute that you think Taco Bell is spicy." I had to laugh. Yeah you have a point. So I ended up insulting all of Mexico ( I apologize) and went and bought a can of chili. Way better than Taco Bell. Way worse than really good Mexican food. Is it enough that I thought of you Mexico? Maybe not the best birthday dinner ever, but the bottom line is, it was just what I wanted.
Thanks to all my family and friends for the random, wonderful, funny, birthday wishes and gifts!


Bravo! Chili counts if you squint! Happy Birthday Trisha!! (P.S. Lorena was very, very pleased.)
ReplyDelete