September 2, 2016

The Camponotus Consobrinus Battle

If you've been reading my blog recently you know that I've been engaged in a battle. I am still engaged and feel like I am losing. I came home from school to discover a few ants here and there in my guest bathroom. AAARRRGGGH. I didn't want to call my landlord and have the nasty spray sprayed again. So I went online to search out some "home-made" ant killers. I discovered the Borax, Sugar, Water solution. I didn't have cotton balls so I used a napkin. I couldn't tell where the ants were coming from so I just left it where I saw the most walking about.  I left it and checked in the middle of the night. The napkin was covered with ants. They were coming from under the door trim. Then by this evening I didn't see any more live ants in my bathroom.  Then I decided I needed to run to the grocery store. I put on my shoes and walked out to the living room. In front of my door I noticed something black. Yep, MORE ANTS. So this is a new location. The borax solution I had left in a jar in case I needed more. I heated it up for a few seconds in the microwave and shook it up to make sure it was well mixed again. I soaked another napkin and set it down. It appears to be working. I can only hope!


When I went to the grocery store I bought cotton balls to place some more "bait" out.  I don't know why the ants are invading this year but they are out in force. I get one area covered and they pop up somewhere else.

I completed my first week back to school.  It has been a very different back to school experience.  I have the most thoughtful and kind colleagues. I received several welcome gifts including a very nice one from my principal. I have just been made to feel so welcomed. It is a very different working environment from my experience. Then there are the kids. I had a parent at Back-To-School Night that notified me their son went only by the first letter of his name.   I am simply not from the inner city.  I never spoke like that. I can't call you by your first initial.  I find myself wanting to say "Yo" in front of that initial and speak gangster. That's just inappropriate coming from a teacher so I call him by his name. No complaints have been filed as of yet. 

I also have a little beaver in my class. There as been crayons chewed through and eaten. The yellow from the pencil completely removed.  Hair chewed on and the ends of hoodie drawstrings. If all else fails the fingers go into the mouth or the nose. It's a toss up which one of those two orifices they will go in but they will be found there.  So I need to get this kiddo some appropriate chewy things. I don't know that crayons and yellow paint do much for ones digestive system. 

At the grocery store this evening I was unloading my cart and next to me a couple was unloading groceries into their car. They had a baby sitting in the seat and a little girl standing in their cart. She looked at me and said "You are ca-ca" I gave her my best disapproving teacher face and she said "You not ca-ca."  Her parents had been talking to each other the entire time and I don't think they heard her words at all. Her dad was smoking a cigarette that was blowing smoke into his babies faces. I heard him complaining about the cost of groceries, then complaining they couldn't get benefits because he made too much money.  If you're struggling and you have babies to feed you can't give up cigarettes? Anyhow, I think tonight won't be the first time that little girl sees disapproving teacher face. However, at least she understands that we may have to change our words. 

I have quite a bruise on my arm from my bloodletting last week.  I hope they run the tests I asked them to run. I have little confidence. 

Well, I am off to do some laundry. Tomorrow I am going to school for awhile then probably hanging with my little buddy for awhile! He wanted to come over but had a list of demands. He wanted my I-pad, two trains, and some tracks. His mom said we'd have to pull some out of his box and sneak them over. What he really wants is "Sha" to buy some trains for her house.  I have a caboose and every time he sees it he tells me to buy the rest of the train.  Have a good night....


No comments:

Post a Comment