Yep.. I made it again. Since I moved and had to give away all my hard work I haven't had time to make soup again. I decided to make
Granny's Homemade Chicken noodle tonight. Once again I forgot to add cornstarch...what is up with the cornstarch. I went and bought rotisserie chickens at the store again. This time I put them in the fridge and let the fat congeal before cutting up the meat. Last time I just threw them in the pot. I think this time I will end up with less bones and skin that snuck away from me. I also think it is probably a leaner version.It wasn't fun though. If I do that again I might peel the skin away before I refrigerate it. The skin was a bit harder to peel but the chicken I could cut up into reasonable pieces without burning myself. If smell alone tells the tale... it will be yummy! I am freezing it again for some after school dinners. Delicious!
One thing though... I cannot cut up an onion! I am so bad at it I would make poor
Gordon Ramsey
curse vilely at me. Part of the problem is the tears. They start as I peel off the brown skin of the onion. Then I end up blinded from my tears, scared that I will cut off a finger, and then the nose starts to run. I am such a glamorous cook! On cooking shows they have a trusty assistant.. I need one of those who likes to clean up messes. Running an onion under water only works till you cut into it again. I just try to tell myself I'm cleaning those tear ducts. Although, anyone who knows me...knows that a good laugh will do the same thing to me. With one funny event tears are streaking down my cheeks and I'm alarming strangers. Good times!
So Perhaps tomorrow I will continue my cooking weekend and make some stew. OH WAIT!!! I don't have a choice! THat was stew meat I bought at the store! Hmmm well at least I don't have to cut up an.... oh yes I do! Sigh! I am just as terrible at cutting up a tomato... please don't ask me to if you care about the results. I will cut it up but with absolutely no grace what-so-ever. I made egg noodles again and they are fantastic. I still love the less eggy noodle recipe best. They were purtier noodles than last time as well. I let them dry longer which apparently makes all the difference. If you live in a humid climate it will take them longer to dry out. mmmmmm if only I were hungry right now.
Well... My pillow is calling for my head. Unfortunatly I have flour all over the place and you wouldn't believe how far I can fling a piece of onion when I chop it. So I will go back to cleaning the kitchen. Hint Hint SANTA CLAUS... I REALLY NEED ONE OF
THESE!!
I have found that yellow onions are easier to cut with less tears. If I get red onions, they make my eyes water with the first cut. Also if you start tearing, cut near sink with water running, it is supposed to make tears lessen. xoxo
ReplyDeleteAlso if you open up a bottle of lemon juice near where you're cutting it helps. I have actually tried this with some success.
ReplyDeleteSanta asked me to get your address from you.
ReplyDeleteYou can email it, and I'll be sure he gets it.