Sometimes I am amazed how far south into la-la land our values have traveled. What made our country great and kept it great for so many years is being flushed down the drain. Flushed... without consideration or deliberation... just flushed without thought to the consequences to where the feces will go, or if they will be backing up toilets, polluting streams, etc. Just flushed. It irritates me. I am in a culture that has a lot of religious tradition that I certainly don't agree with. However, some of the values of that culture I can appreciate. While I disagree with their beliefs they may stave off the backing up of feces for a bit longer. I don't know...
Okay here is what started this tirade for me. Back in the day our country started Unions. They started them because people were suffering beyond what we can imagine today, they were working in conditions that were literally killing them. Children were working in conditions that if did not kill them certainly maimed them for life. People banded together to try to make a living without certain death or dismemberment. Okay enough of a history lesson... where we eventually ended up is powerful organizations who lost sight of their original purpose. They weren't something that needed to go on forever. They only need to be created and used when conditions are just that DIRE. Ah but we ... we are a greedy people. We couldn't let go of something we viewed as a winning formula. Oh NO... it grew and grew and so did our greed.
Now I thought this states government made a VERY reasonable request. They asked that any teachers that have had 2 years of unsatisfactory evaluations be put on probationary status. Meaning on probation they could be fired/let go regardless of their contract. WHY WOULD WE NOT AGREE TO THIS??? There are so many teachers NOT doing a good job. Keep in mind that to have 2 years of bad evaluations this is at least 6 bad evaluations. Our administrators are required to observe us 6 times per year and evaluate us 3 times per year. So that is a possibility of 12 bad evaluations. I agree there is sometimes the possibility of personality conflict. However, you can have a personality conflict with someone and still see that their students are learning. Our union though said no no no... we can't have that. NO NO NO. Probably because those teachers that are getting poor evaluations are paying their union dues on time every time. GRRR I just see so many good teachers in competition for jobs with people unwilling to do what is right. It ticks me off. I don't know the outcome of this yet... I don't think it has been fully decided. I hope the State does what it has threatened to. Separate the wheat from the chaff
No comments:
Post a Comment