September 29, 2011

Insecurities....

I've been thinking about insecurity today. It is a trap in so many ways. I know we all have it in some way shape or form. It is how we deal with those insecurities that allows us to learn, grow, and move forward. Insecurity kills hope and prevents growth. Working with a person who feels insecure is stressful. You cannot give another person self-esteem. They have to find it within themselves. I have been thinking about what I can do to make a comfortable working environment for this person. The problem is that ... quite unintentionally we can trigger their insecurities. Then it feels like you are walking on a mine field around that person and that doesn't work either. I finally decided... If I do something wrong and I know it... I'll apologize. I'll be kind and stay positive. That is about all I can do. I hope that this person realizes anything I inadvertently do or not do isn't an attack on them. It was a busy week. Progress reports were due today and I about did myself in figuring out the stinking software program that we enter grades into. I need to do more training on this program. I had a heart dropping moment when I got home and realized.... I didn't hit SAVE!!!!!! ACCCK. Sooo I ended up back at school entering in some of the grades again. Luckily I hit save often enough it wasn't all of them missing... just some. I figured out some things that I can do better with teaching this week. That is a good feeling. The worst feeling is knowing you could do better but are not sure how to go about it. I have asked for help and best of all I have been given help! I really love my new principal. She is HIGH energy, a decision maker, and gets business taken care of!! It is such a treat after having someone wishy washy in the past. She isn't a micro-manager either. She helps you to be better at what you do!! I really don't know what more you could ask for. Some of my co-workers are a bit intimidated by her. I know her motivation is to make the school better.. and help me to be a better teacher. Any criticism is truly constructive criticism. I really appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment