October 3, 2011
Flat Tires
I had two flat tires and this has provided gossip/entertainment for main street. I learned that our gas stations do NOT have air compressors. So luckily I had a little one that I could plug into my cigarette lighter. I got enough air in it to drive home. The next morning I added a bit more air before driving to school. The next time I stopped at the gas station they asked how my flat tire was. I said fine it is holding air. "well you ran that air compressor for like 40 minutes." I was cracking up because I knew exactly how long I ran it because I was on my way to work and didn't want to be late. It was only 8 minutes. Then my old car had a flat tire and every time I saw someone they said " did you know your car has a flat?". I really wanted to answer with a little bit of Bill Engvall styled sarcasm. I managed to respond politely. I finally found someone who would remove the flat and put a spare on and I took it to town to get fixed. One tire had a small nail and one had a bad valve. I ordered a spare for my new car and should pick it up next weekend. Living on main street is kind of a bummer because EVERYBODY knows when you're home, when you're not etc etc. You step out your door and you have visitors. I am looking forward to the weather getting a wee bit colder so they will be indoors more and keeping track of my movements less. Moving out of town sounds better and better. By the end of the school year I will probably be begging to get off main street.
Traditions are an interesting thing.Traditions must be considered carefully. If you start a tradition do you want to continue it forever and ever. Will the motivation for the tradition change? If someone decides to carry on the tradition will it be for the right reasons? Who will be stuck with a stupid tradition you started? I can understand there is comfort in traditions and a kind of security. Focus on tradition can also lead people astray from more important things! Anyhow all I am saying is be careful of traditions. Be careful what you start, stop, continue, or be a part of.
It is laundry day...I am heading to the city this weekend for Grocery Shopping/shopping extravaganza. Then when I come back I am getting ready to go to a 2 day intervention training.... back in the same town. When you live in this state you quickly get used to everything being a drive. That combined with where I live really makes it a drive. I am hoping this training will be beneficial to me and my students. I am worried it is so heavy on tracking that it is low on hands on intervention. I will be traveling with more experienced teachers though so they can probably give me some new ideas. I am worried we might lose some of our students their families are really struggling financially. It isn't a matter of wanting to leave... it is a matter of needing to. That is a bummer. Hopefully we can hang on to them for a long time! I have been planning my grocery list without the benefit of my recipe box. That is torture!!!! I have not figured out what box contains the box in storage. Sigh!! The weather is predicting some snow for us this week. It looks like it is turning cold quickly. I took the kids up to the field today...wondering how much longer we will be able to play in the green green grass!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment