October 25, 2011

Dueling....

I found this former Nevada law in a book "A teacher must swear that he or she has never taken part in a duel, either as a principal or as a second , before he or she is allowed to take a teaching post in Nevada." My cousin posted it on his blog and found the actual law book you can view HERE.

I didn't have to solemnly swear that I never ever participated in a duel to get my teaching license. So that water-balloon fight won't alter my current job situation! WHEW!!! The more I thought about it the more I had to wonder about the creation of the law. Perhaps they were just trying to take so called "hot-heads" out of the running! It also makes you think that perhaps there was a lot of dueling occurring in the state. I could picture a couple of miners fighting over a "gold claim". I am not sure why it originated but it sure does get the imagination running.

These last two weeks have been very busy. I feel like I am constantly 10 steps behind. Grading papers...getting ready for Halloween. Having the kids make decorations. Trying to figure out what to have for a classroom party when I haven't been to the grocery store in several weeks. It will work out. I have a feeling parents are going to come to my rescue!! Speaking of parents.. the students at my school are very lucky in their family units. Anyhow one of the parents came to get me after school today. Her family is donating a butchered lamb to raffle off for a fundraiser. It will be wrapped and ready to go. The proceeds will go toward a field trip or two. This news came the day after some friends of mine offered to help with a donation to our Christmas Program. Having this kind of support amazes me! It keeps me going. There is something even more special about it because it was volunteered... not asked for. So BIG HUGS and happy thoughts sent to these folks.

I don't know if people always realize how much you care about their children. I worry about them, want them to be successful, think about how I can make school more meaningful to them and I see their faces when I make plans for school. The hard days... are the days you think you can't save them from something awful. Hopefully school will give them tools to create a different life for their own future. I am glad I am in this rural area because the majority of my students are not exposed to a lot of the heart break you see in urban students.

Two days... till Carnival fun. I have a mountain of laundry, dirty dishes in the sink and an apartment to clean. That has all fallen by the wayside...because I am trying to get prepared for report cards and the carnival. I need to slow down a bit and enjoy the moment. To end on a funny note a Kinder student made a connection today. In a voice that suggested extreme disbelief she said "Miss C... DID YOU KNOW THAT Miss M.... HAS A DAD???? and he is our BUS DRIVER!!!!". I don't know if she was more shocked that Miss M had a Dad.... or that he was the Bus Driver. It cracked me up. You never know. One of my 1st graders is a fantastic Barrel racer. She has won all kinds of cash and trophies. I may not be able to see her compete till next summer but I am excited to watch that. She is a pretty fearless kid but told me that she goes so fast she scares herself. She is a tiny little thing and I can barely picture her doing it. Pretty cool though. Well have a lovely night... and if you ever want to work in the government sector... avoid dueling... unless you are a dueling pianist. That is probably safe :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for posting this. It is very much a relief that you are not getting into matched pistol duels down there in silver country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you picked a play... or should I keep reading???

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have... it arrived Friday when I know more I'll share :)

    ReplyDelete