What a day! It was crazy busy! We had Deputy D. do a Halloween Safety Presentation which the kids really enjoyed. The Sheriff's Department also provided Halloween Goodies...like pencils, reflectors, glow in the dark necklaces, stickers, candy, coloring pages, rulers, and much much more. Our kids were very excited! Then we had a Party for all the kids including some local preschool age kids. It was barely controlled chaos. A parent brought a big pan of decorated Halloween Sugar Cookies. That was fabulous. During school this week the older kids had been setting up the Haunted house and a few other activities. The set up for the little kids carnival games was done in part by Junior high students and us teachers. My parents ... I don't think they were impressed by the quality of our games as how excited the kids were by such simple games. This is the bonus of living in the boonies. The kids are appreciative of simple things. They are easy to please. Every time I do an activity like this I learn something about putting one of these on. This time I had to let go of wanting to manage every detail. I worked with my co-worker on them. Some times people don't want to hear why you know something will work. Instead of fighting for it... I thought well live, learn, and move on. Sometimes we have to stand back and watch others learn from their experiences.
Another thing my parents couldn't quite figure out was "WHY all the security?" I laughed. The sheriff's office was working on some community "P.R.". They sponsored a coloring contest and awarded the winners with some nice gift certificates for local eateries. The local police presence has a difficult job. They tend to follow the "book" to the letter. This should be the way it is always done. They get a lot of criticism from folks who think because they've known them since they were two or three they should get special treatment. What I often hear is " so-and-so would pull over his own mother". Truthfully, so-and-so probably would. They make no exceptions and really it is the only way to be. If they handled things any other way they would open themselves to bigger nightmares.
It was an evening of fundraising a dinner (for senior students), a pie eating contest, a annual "pie-in-face" auction, etc etc. My parents were really impressed how all of the students in our school participated last evening. They said they couldn't see high school students participating in an activity like that. At least not very many would be that willing to do it! It was interesting to me how many people from the community came out of the woodwork. This town isn't by any means large but there were a lot of new faces. At least new faces to me!
Today Mom has been helping me with my annual soup making day. We made potato soup, hamburger soup, and chicken noodle soup. If you've read my blog in the past you know of my favorite egg noodle recipe from Betty Crocker's 1968 cookbook. I also usually use a Rotisserie Chicken I buy from the grocery store for the chicken part of the chicken noodle. Well since the grocery store is much to far to bring a chicken home safely. I used Costco Brand "canned" chicken. I also used an organic "Better than Bouillon" Chicken base. I've never used it before but it's amount of sodium is significantly lower than Chicken Broth or bouillon. So if you're on a low sodium diet you might check it out. It has a nice flavor. It was an entertaining cooking session as we realized that I didn't have any mixing bowls, potato peelers, or stock pots. I had one pot that I tested the limits of it's capacity. Boy would I like to have a complete kitchen again. It makes cooking so much easier. I had to run across the street and borrow a peeler.
After the carnival last night I received invitations to branding, Thanksgiving, dinner, etc.. etc. I am going to try to go to branding tomorrow. I have heard this ranch is quite beautiful. I don't want to miss the opportunity to see it... or my 6 year old barrel-racing-princess ride! Hopefully it all works out and I can visit. I also hope I can make it out there without: 1. Getting lost, 2. Getting a flat tire, 3. Getting lost and having a flat tire. Flat tires are not my favorite thing. I don't know if it is the rocks or the highways around here but this state is hard on tires.
No comments:
Post a Comment