Today I visited a students ranch on one of their many days of branding. They branded about 150 calves today and castrated many. I wasn't sure what to expect just because Branding is usually a social event. Sometimes this involves drinking. So I had my exit strategy planned before I went. This family was more conservative than I realized and only Pepsi tabs were popped open. Anyhow it was a pretty little ranch. Their horse stables was a former Pony Express outpost. It was where they kept their teams of horses. This trail was also part of the Overland Trail. I really was impressed by the quality of the people at this event. I felt very welcome! It is really great to see the values of my students families.
When visiting this state if someone tells you to be careful because there are cows in the road... Take them very seriously. Many of the roads are open range and you are just in the way of the cows. After dark the black cows can be extremely difficult to see. I have the fine white dust on my car and tires that tells anyone who knows this state exactly where I've been. It was a fun day. Tomorrow I am invited to another student's home for dinner. I am a bit apprehensive about it. I feel like if I am invited I should make a point to go. It is important to the kids. That is all I can think of right now.... goodnight
No comments:
Post a Comment