April 11, 2012
It has begun to sink in...
I have had the distractions of travel and being with friends. It seemed appropriate that I would find out we lost her in Bryce Canyon. She often talked about the trip she made with family there and how beautiful it was. At almost every stop there was an "old" lady who didn't know a stranger talking to me and telling me about herself and asking me questions about me. That was Sylvia, she made a friend on every train ride, every trip to the grocery store, in every town, and every place. She never met a stranger. Tonight it really sunk in just how much I am going to miss her. I didn't send her a postcard from my trip, I won't hear her voice saying "come in, come in", on my next visit home. I think of the can of pineapple she always kept in the cupboard because during the Great Depression it was a very rare and precious treat to have pineapple. I think of all the recipes she shared and taught me how to make. I think of her always open door. Even when it was locked it was open to me. I couldn't figure out why she thought Rhett Butler was soooo handsome. We laughed over that one many times. We celebrated and enjoyed the generation gap between us. She taught me how to make a quilt and tie squares. She was at my graduations and celebrated my accomplishments. She was stubborn pure stubborn and not afraid to admit it. She refused to embrace the technological age but was quick to forget phone numbers when they were programmed into her phone. Fruit could cure every single ache, pain, and ailment. We watched many a storm, and night sky from her back yard. I feel like all of us who knew her were the luckiest people on the planet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment