October 12, 2013

Saturday, Cooking, studying!

Oh Saturday..! I love that cold fall crisp air and knowing that I can sleep just a little longer. Maybe read in my toasty warm bed, and stay in my pj's for a ridiculously long time.  I started making a pot of soup a little later than I should have last night. So I stayed up later than I planned. Oh well, more soup for my freezer and my stash was low. I probably should've doubled the recipe but I realized I was out of freezer dishes so that worked out okay.

 I also did an 8 p.m. grocery store run. I  smiled to myself as I drove home. It had taken me this long to realize that if I wanted to go to the grocery store at night I could. It is weird to have the possibility after two years of remembering the whole town shut down (not the saloons) by 8 p.m. and there wasn't a grocery store. So  that made my trip to the store more enjoyable. I picked up a few things I had run out of and that would help me in my cooking adventures this weekend.

Then I talked to Mom for a few minutes and she was talking about making a casserole which made me decide to make a casserole. It is in the oven now. I can't wait. I also looked up one of my other favorite soup recipes to start this afternoon. I hadn't made it since last winter so I am looking forward to having some of it.  We'll see what other inspiration strikes this weekend on the cooking front. I may have to do another grocery store run for some freezer containers. I have broken a few dropping them straight from the freezer. So now I seem to have a lot of lids but not enough containers.

Here is my soup I am making today I got it from a school parent last year. I am not sure where she got it. I haven't found it online. It freezes quite nicely.

Hearty Beef Tomato Soup
1lb Ground Beef ( I usually double it)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 TBSP  Butter
1 16 oz can Fire Roasted diced Tomatoes (sometimes all you can find is 14.9 oz that works)
1 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Chili Powder
1 Bay Leaf
2 Beef Boullion Cubes (gluten free)
2 1/2 cups water ( I usually have to add quite a bit more)
1/3 Cup Rice ( I add a little more of this too, prob. why I need more water) 

Saute beef, onion, and celery in butter. Stir in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil, and simmer until rice is done. 

The casserole I am making is the traditional tater-tot casserole without the cream-o-mushroom soup. I make a gluten free Bechamel Sauce with gluten free flour and milk.(without the butter) Then I just add some salt and pepper to taste. It makes a nice white gravy to add to the hamburger. The tator-tots I have to carefully read the label. You never know what you will get mixed into them. 
After my casserole cooking I have to finish the work for my online class. Then study for my Monday class. I am thinking tomorrow will be the day spent getting ready for the school week.   Oh and in between and during all of that I really have to do some laundry and clean house.  Where does the time quickly go?

No comments:

Post a Comment