Ahhhhh the weekend. I left school on Thursday feeling pretty disgusted and frustrated. It isn't a great way to finish the week. I met with a friend yesterday who has been a strong advocate for me. I've been getting some great ideas on how to handle situations that are driving me nuts! I met with another 2nd grade teacher from another school. I realized a couple of things today. The focus on testing has created a "competition" mentality among teachers. Is this a good thing or not? If I had a student in the school and I didn't have a choice between teachers I wouldn't like it because my student wouldn't have access to the same quality. I feel that if teachers have a great idea, resource, strategy, they should share. If we can all win together wouldn't that be better? I don't know but it finally clicked why the other teachers were not sharing items they are supposed to be rotating amongst our grade level. It is ridiculous but it is true. I am finding ways around this situation.
What I also realized today is that I thought I was failing pretty miserably as a teacher this fall. Then I met with a veteran teacher today to get ideas and help from. It was great because I realized while I need work in some areas there is a lot I am doing right. I learned a couple of new strategies from her, was reminded of some old ones, and saw how she implemented them. It was really refreshing for me to meet with her. She has a positive attitude and was super supportive. I hope this can continue.
What I am going to continue to do is keep learning and talking with people I know have the experience to help me get there! I spent a lot of time working on teaching today but it isn't over for the weekend. I have work to do to prepare for next week. There is a lot going on. I have another change in my schedule. Fall so far has been the perpetually changing schedule. You are just hoping you fit everything you are supposed to into the day. The students are in the computer lab for a brain-based reading program. It has been very interesting to read about so I am looking forward to seeing it work in person. The program is very strong and if students spend the allotted time in the lab working on it they usually see one and a half years growth in reading. As a teacher it has to be a priority.
It was so great to be able to sleep in a little today. I even took a little afternoon nap. It was WONDERFUL! My body was yelling at me to get some rest. I have some cooking I need to do this weekend as well. My stash of frozen meals is getting very low. I have a few ideas to switch it up. I had eaten so much lentil soup that I need a change. So we'll see what I cook up. So this Friday I really felt like this weekend I am refreshed.
No comments:
Post a Comment