It has seemed so quiet and much more relaxed since coming back from Christmas break. I was attributing it all to having a break, getting away, change of scenery, time with family, etc. Then I realized since I came back my school computer isn't working so if I'm lucky I only check my work e-mail once a day. It is amazing how NOT reading that totally improves my attitude. I really must read it with less frequency. I may be out of the loop on a few things but blissfully so!
Our district is piloting the new teacher evaluation tool that will be implemented state-wide next year. It sounds exactly like what we had to do when we created our portfolio for college. I am hoping it is a little less involved because seriously. I need to sleep once in a while during the school year. Do you want me to call parents, grade student work, gather data, implement differentiation, develop relationships with students, work on continuing education, attend professional learning communities, building leadership teams, implement Individualized Education Plans, read assigned reading, implement new curricula, lesson plan, and collect artifacts for a portfolio? This is why our education system is broken. You want teachers to do it ALLL with less and less time. I talked with a colleague up north and their district had already put this evaluation tool in place. She said that with that and a new curriculum they were implementing teachers were at school often till eight at night. Yes we have long summer vacations, and Spring Break, and Christmas Break, and some other government holidays. If dedicated teachers didn't have those "breaks" we'd be laying in a puddle of our own drool rocking in the corner. Expectations have risen. I love higher standards. However, there needs to be a balance. The pendulum of government education has taken another drastic swing. I am not sure where it will lead. Seriously I often wonder why I didn't consider becoming a wildlife biologist. I was probably not excited by chemistry and biology. Hmmm what was I thinking?
It was great to come back to school and see all my short people! They all seemed ready to be back. It was a good start to a new year. I hope to have access to some technology at school soon because it is difficult to lesson plan without it. Even though I am enjoying the e-mail hiatus. I am loving my Christmas present. The remote start for my car just makes my morning. It gives me just a little more pajama time without running out into the cold and then back in without completely warming up!
Well it is time for me to rest my head. G'nite
No comments:
Post a Comment