January 3, 2015

In Denial

Well, I am in denial that my Christmas Break is coming to its end.  I started my break with a bug that took up a few days to get well. I spent time with family and friends. I didn't get to see everyone I had planned on but time flies over this break. Everyone has  busy schedules this time of year as well.

You never know someone until you help them move a mattress. I've moved a few mattresses and helped move a few. They are inconvenient  items to move around. They never bend the way you need them to bend to get around corners. They don't fit through doorways following doorways. You can never tie down a mattress quite as well as you should. Yes I've seen a flying mattress and a semi-run over it. That's a story best saved. Anyhow, mattresses are a pain to move. Then one should flip their mattress once in a while. I recall doing this with my neighbor. When you ask a 20 something year old to move a mattress with you. Keep in mind their muscles and reflexes are stronger and quicker than your own. Luckily she was short and I didn't crush her. We giggled over our mattress flipping experience for years.  Usually the act of MOVING mattresses doesn't bring out the giggling. It brings out our grumpy side. Someone is always walking backwards and someone is always shoving this person. Then it seems as though someone is walking blindly carrying this heavy awkward item.  We got my parents a new mattress for Christmas. Just moving it one room away seemed like climbing Mount Everest.  Dad suggested that a new mattress wasn't needed.  Then we put the new one on. Mom said " I don't have to roll out of the valley, climb the mountain, and roll over the other side to get out of bed now!"  Dad thought she was exaggerating. He didn't recall climbing any mountains to get out of bed. Clearly they didn't flip their mattress often enough. He seemed a little disappointed  that the new mattress wasn't perfectly contoured to his body. Some people are hard to please.  Maybe he will find something nice to say about it after awhile.

Moving mattresses also requires a closer look at just what is under the bed that you haven't seen in awhile.  Usually just some "dust bunnies" that you never quite reach with your vacuum.

I went back home through the big city and stayed with a friend on the way so that I could break up the trip a little. It also allowed me to stop at the evil Wal-Mart to pick up a few things I was out of.   Before I left I wasn't feeling well so a few things I normally take care of before I leave fell by the  wayside.  So I came home to  a stinky trash can and several expired items in the fridge. I took care of that right away. Then I boiled some cinnamon on the stove to refresh the air. I have some laundry to do. Some other laundry to put away. I also need to plan for   this week at school. I admit I am in complete denial and am procrastinating.   Well, off to do something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment