Whew! Our poetry presentation went off without too many hitches! Tomorrow is our Buckaroo Breakfast and a branding presentation. I can't remember what is on Friday. I've been taking it a day at a time. Tonight every teacher had to take home a big bag of sausage to cook up for the breakfast. I put mine on a baking sheet and baked them. I wasn't standing in front of the pan to cook up that many sausages. I accomplished that homework! Whew!
I had one student who threw up at lunch today and went home. It seems like they usually throw up at lunch. Thank goodness. The lunch lady told her it was probably the yogurt and made her go to recess. She comes in to see me after recess and asks if she can take off her sweatshirt because she got throw up on it. Ummm yes... Then I sent her to the nurse. The nurse sent her home.
I had a parent meeting after school. All I will say is... brick wall...banging head. Then I had a meeting to attend. It was for the "action team" I am part of. We are working on Family Engagement or something like that. I created a blog for the school. Which means that I don't have to do a lot of the other homework! Yeah! I also created a survey for the families. The blog has had minimal traffic. I think it is because there is NOT student work posted on there! I think if parents could brag about their students work that would change.
I have started off my two students on creating a classroom magazine. They are so gung ho! One sat through 5 tutorial videos. I told the student you can stop you don't have to keep watching. Nope!
I've been trying to get a variety of material for my students to read. I just want them to read, read, read. Some students are great pretenders. They will sit and slowly turn pages. You can tell by how their eyes track the page whether they are reading or not. Anyhow, to get more kids reading I've ordered a couple of magazines for kids. I was hoping to find other options. Maybe I just need to place the Cabela's catalog in the student library and have them read product descriptions! HA! I ordered Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield. I will have to order more of those at some point. I expect a couple of battles over the comics!
I've been trying to get parent volunteers in to read with students. It is very disappointing how difficult this is. I have 2 parents so far. Some kids never turn in a reading log. They don't read at home. Turn on closed captioning on your TV hit the mute button and make them read that cartoon. You can also choose video games that make you read to figure out the next step. The parents who overuse those forms of entertainment can make some better choices!
No comments:
Post a Comment