Whenever I see another school shooting. I am mad. Mad for the victims of course and sometimes even the shooter. However, I am really mad for another reason. I know without one single doubt in my mind that there was at least one teacher, maybe a school counselor, and others who worked with this student and said. This one needs help, they are in trouble, they are a danger or more. You know what happens? The people you tell don't know what to do, or where to go, or how to help. Oh but there are school counselors. Yes, even they look at these terribly troubled students and are at a loss. School Psychologists though they must be doing something. Nope they are very busy testing students for Special Education Services. I have yet to see a school psychologist working with a troubled student. Mentally ill students fall through the cracks, dangerous students fall through the cracks, and if you want schools to do better you need parents to demand more.
Another thing about all this that makes me angry. Is our society has told us all that the family isn't that important. If dad isn't around a single parent is enough. Just as long as there is someone who loves you that is enough. It is a lie. A really profound and damaging lie. Families matter and need to be held accountable for their lack of involvement. The lack of involvement has a lot to do with drugs anymore. The damage drugs do to children scares me. We have more and more children who lack empathy, compassion, and basic emotions. You can track that right back to their parents being neglectful, drug users. Good job society...
It is completely laughable that people think taking away weapons will end this. It won't. Criminals don't obey laws. We have virtually open borders that anything can be smuggled through, even the aforementioned drugs. Criminals don't worry about laws. We need to strictly enforce the laws we do have. Mental health in children needs to be a priority. In every instance I have seen, someone dropped the ball and didn't take it seriously. If you want to point fingers... point them carefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment