So many unknowns! We are starting school with a hybrid schedule, we think, maybe...
All we know for sure that whatever we plan minutes, hours, or even just a day later everything could change. Our governor issued new directives for school after our school board approved plans last week. An emergency school board meeting was scheduled for next week. Trying to plan is a little bit futile.
Our grade level team met the beginning of this week and that was a bit of a circus. One teacher dominated the meeting and was basically "My way is the only RIGHT way." There were a lot of gaps in her planning and when gently asked what she would do about Reading Comprehension for instance we were told it wasn't as important as background knowledge or reading fluency. Wellllllll okay then. Reading requires a lot of skills and once you are a reader all three of those are pretty important and I don't think one outweighs the others. That was just one example out of many that I couldn't jump on her train for. Opinions of others were pretty unwelcome. So, one teacher left about an hour and a half, I left after about 2 1/2 hours and the others stayed in for the long haul. I just couldn't do it. In other words working with my team could make for a LONG year! Tomorrow we are going to try another approach. If that doesn't work then I'm just going to work within a smaller group.
My student teacher joined me today to help set some stuff up, put up my bulletin board, and have a discussion. I basically did a BROAD overview of what we would be teaching, in what format, and what options we might have to share lessons both digitally and in person. We also discussed some practical procedure type things for this year. I am very thankful to have a young, energetic, excited student teacher this year. It will be such a huge help and the timing is perfect. We will learn A LOT together this year.
What I know for SURE about this school year:
I am a teacher
I have a student teacher
School is about to start
Everything can and will change
I have students
..... Can't think of anything else.
Dust and Smoke-
Wildfire smoke blew into our area from California and it picked up some dust on its way. My asthma just about did me in. I went to work yesterday in my classroom. I didn't feel great when I got up, but I attributed it to a bad nights sleep in part. I got to school and walking in from the parking lot was exhausting. I went and sat in my room and tried to do a little work and I was functioning less and less. I brought out my oximeter and realized that my numbers were dropping. There is a 2 point error, but it does help me get a general idea of where I am. I decided I'd better go home and use my nebulizer. I called mom and she talked to me while I drove. I used my nebulizer and realized that I wasn't really noticing much of a difference. I called a friend locally and asked for suggestions. I don't want to go into Urgent Care and sit in a waiting room. She reminded me we have TeleDoc with my school insurance. Through a video call I can speak with a Doctor. I set that up. I've been struggling all summer with my asthma, it would get a bit better, then worse again. Anyhow after our long chat and and assessment he put me on oral and inhaled steroids and also increased one of my other medications temporarily. After just one dose I noticed a difference. I was able to sleep through most of the night without coughing, I was only interrupted by a couple bathroom visits. It was soooooo nice to just be able to rest. After my 2nd dose I felt like a whole new person. Hopefully, after a few more days I am rocking and rolling. When I got back to school the following day the janitors said to me "OH you LOOK soooo much better, you were SOOOO white!" "You have color in your cheeks!" "I was worried about you!" I knew when I left I wasn't doing well, but I didn't realize how bad it was. One of the problems with asthma issues is when you are low in oxygen your thinking isn't great and your thinking processes slow. One of the janitors came and talked with me some more because she has a son with asthma. We compared notes, and I told her if she saw me like that again to stop me and tell me what she sees. I can't explain how much I want a few nice rainstorms, and I just can't wait for snow. The sooner it SNOWS the better.
I have some cooking to fit in somewhere this weekend. Since I am feeling more perky I hope to have a cooking day Sunday. Excited to try a couple new recipes too.
That's all for now...
No comments:
Post a Comment