When we first came back in August our school board approved a hybrid schedule.
1/2 of the class:
Week 1: attend school Mon. Wed Fri. (Tues. Thurs. online)
Week 2: Attend School Tues. Thurs. (online Mon. Wed. Fri.)
other 1/2
Week 1: Tues. Thurs. (Mon. Wed. Frid. online)
Week 2. Mon. Wed. Frid. (Tues. Thurs. Online)
This was going to be a nightmare to be attempting to provide in person teaching while supporting students working virtually. I was also very concerned that school would closely impersonate prison. With social distancing rules in the classroom, hallway, lunchroom, and even recess, my heart hurt that we would be teaching students this is okay. Then the whole mask enforcement issue. I didn't want to be the mask police. I wouldn't even be able to walk over to a student desk and offer them support. So, when our school board decided to go Virtual for at least the first 9 weeks, I was relieved. However, I didn't realize that now I would be an inmate. That now my hands and feet would be shackled. That everything that makes me love teaching would be taken away. The opportunities for creativity, to share my goofiness with my students. We have to do EXACTLY the same lesson, at the same time, with all the same resources. This has sucked the soul out of teaching. I called a retired teacher friend and told her what we were being told to do and she said "That's Blasphemy" and "I'd be fired" I've had days where I thought I need to find another job, but then I regroup and go back and find the joy. This year so far we are being so micromanaged that I want to leave my profession more than ever before. I've tried to think of ways to bring the "joy" back into my job. However, every time it is discussed by admin it ends up being "no, you need to do the same things." The morale at our school is very low. Normally, when we come back in August we are rested and cheerful and so happy to see each other again. We had that for about a minute and a half and now we feel hobbled.
In other news, with the continuing wildfire smoke my asthma continues to be an issue. I went to the Dr. today and we came up with a new treatment plan and I go see him again next week. He also scheduled blood work. So, I have to get permission to get that done on my way to work one morning. The nice part is I can get it done right in his office. I hope that we can get it to a manageable place so that I can start to enjoy life a little more.
It has been an insane couple of weeks at work. I just don't even know what to do
No comments:
Post a Comment