January 9, 2014

Moment of Silence.

It really isn't good to start a school day with a negative attitude. I had a meeting to go to this morning that I was dreading somewhat. It actually turned out well until the end. I was feeling positive and encouraged and then one person made a personal comment that was very critical, rude, and completely uncalled for in front of colleagues. I immediately got up and took myself out of the situation even though others tried to smooth it over. I  thought it would only go downhill from there. Then my next thought was now I have to go put on a smile and work with children. They don't deserve to be affected negatively by this. I was never so grateful to have an unusual law in our state. It is actually our state law to start every school day with a moment of silence before saying the Pledge of Allegiance.  That moment of silence although just a moment gave me a chance to quiet myself and regroup. 

It has been a busy first week back. Somehow we all missed the memo that we were having a Science night at school and nobody let us know until Tuesday. Then we were given an experiment to do at the Science night and materials to go purchase. So between my colleagues in my grade level and I we managed to get together what we needed to and split up our duties.  So today after school I worked in my classroom a little and did a little grading. I had to run and get dinner quickly and then run back. I had some fun with a couple of colleagues when I got inspired and decided to requisition a cabinet from an unused classroom. I found a dolly and we got the job done. With a lot of giggles but we got it done. I am grateful to get the cabinet. We got a whole bunch of math manipulatives but I have very little storage in my classroom. So I had nowhere to put them. So now I can put them all away.

I am also grateful to live somewhere were I can ask a few people and quickly have a group that wants to go to the shooting range with me. We have a fun group of ladies a lot of empty milk jugs. I also found out our local sporting goods store has some amazing targets.  It gives me something to look forward to other than grading papers. 

Anyhow, my feet are so tired tonight and I am so excited to see my pajamas. I forgot to mention we are getting a new Vice-Principal. I was able to chat with her tonight for a bit. She is excited about some things I am doing in my class and was really reinforcing an idea I have wanted to try for awhile. She is a very positive person and I hope she is able to maintain that because we really need it. She was assigned to my grade level which was like an answer to a prayer I didn't know to ask for.  So I am looking forward to this change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment