January 11, 2014

On the Range

I didn't have as many pals go out to shoot.  Just one but we had a good time. We pulled up and there was some people drinking, shooting clay pigeons, drinking, etc. Even the little baby was with them and all without ear protection. I told her I didn't feel comfortable shooting in this situation. So we drove a little further and found a  good (previously used) shooting spot toward a high hill. There was a nice stand there with some long abused targets on it. We even found a bowling pin. So we had a good time shooting at our targets. We got to chat about a lot of things as well on our drive out there and back so that was good.   It was exactly what I needed today some fresh air and some time at the range. 

We received an email from our principal yesterday 
"On Monday morning, , a the person hired to do our district evaluations.  upon which our school performance plan is based) will be in our library hoping to talk to any staff who may be available.  I will not be there, and it is your chance to share your thought openly and honestly about how we are using curriculum, assessments, data, parent involvement, leadership, etc, in our school.  I have the whole list of indicators about which she is gathering information, and she has those same questions that you many have been asked a couple years ago by the group who did our audit.  If you want to see that list you are always welcome.

If you have a few minutes Monday morning, your input about how things are in our trenches would be so very helpful.  How can we focus and fix, if we don't hear the reality"
 
I wish I could say that we could be open and honest. I don't think we can be without having our job in jeopardy.  It is unfortunate. Mom and I were talking today about what happens to the person telling the truth and the reality. They are usually the person that ends up fired or relocated. What has happened to valuing honesty and integrity?   I pulled some of the times, place, and people out of the above paragraph if you notice some editing. I am apprehensive. If I go to this meeting will I be labeled a trouble maker. If I don't go will I have lost the opportunity to use my voice. Should I attend so I can see if others will use their voice in a manner of diplomacy while still sharing the message that should be heard?   I don't know.  
 
So it is this kind of thing that makes one go out to the range and empty some rounds. I have met some really good people here in this state and feel like I've made some friends for life. I feel like I have learned a lot and continue to build some great skills as a teacher. Many times you are kept awake at night worrying over  a student, the administration, being able to do your job in the way you know is right.   Doing what is right for your students despite the administration.  It is a challenge. I wish my main focused concern was "what do my students need".  The reality is that as much as I try to make them the main focus it is extremely hard. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment