Fastest Classroom Organizer in the West, or so I'm told. One of the teachers told me "I didn't think you were going to get it together, I thought we'd have to come in and help." It looks great! Tuesday a friend came and helped me put up my bulletin boards. That's a two person job. I just don't have the skills to staple and hang long sheets of paper while balanced on a step stool. When my friend came we had it done lickety-split. Last weekend another new teacher friend I met at training helped me put together the horrible, awful, miserable, Wal-mart bookshelves. (do not purchase cheap bookshelves.)
The rest was up to me! It took me a little bit to find my vision or how I wanted things. Once I had that in my head I went for it. I'm sure a few things won't work as the school year goes, but I can tweak it. I can also just write a note "don't do that next year." So many of my colleagues have "Pinterest Perfect" classrooms. I think though some of them forgot they had boys in the class. Some forgot if you cover every available wall space you can't post student work. They look beautiful. I went for a more simplistic approach. I like to create anchor charts as we learn together. I'm sure the janitors are relieved their is at least one classroom that isn't heavily decorated. We have four full time janitors. They have quite the job to do keeping that whole building and all the portables going.
Tonight was back-to-school night. We had two separate times to accommodate the number of parents and students coming to school. The gym was full both times. I only had two students that didn't show up so I thought that was a good turnout. I definitely have kids from all walks of life. All that I met I could tell their parents were working people. There were a couple of stay-at-home moms. The majority though both parents were working. I have some challenges ahead and I hope I can rise to meet them.
I realized as I sit here writing this blog I have one eye shut while typing. The other is ready to join it. It might be time to hit the hay. As I changed out of my work clothes I started getting texts tonight from my new colleagues. They are so kind, generous, thoughtful, and just darned funny. I never know what they are going to be up to. They do find the laughter in all situations. Tonight, they were planning lunch for tomorrow. We are going as a crew to lunch. Hilarity ensued.
I am amazed and thankful for friends today. The grace some have, the strength, and kindness.
G'nite
No comments:
Post a Comment