April 6, 2017

It's almost here....the weekend

I was trying to contemplate my week. I can say for sure that I have brought home papers to grade for three nights in a row. What did I do Monday night? I think I fell into bed early. I was contemplating my day tomorrow when I realized it is Friday. This means someone else makes lunch and it is "Casual Friday." I can wear my jeans and tennis shoes. I had a list of things I brought home that I thought I would get done. Well after grading papers, eating dinner, washing dishes, and taking a shower. It is almost time for bed.

I stayed a little late after school to print some things that I haven't had time to. Usually the copy room is very busy. I thought there would be a chance that I could get some things done without too much competition. I did manage to! Yay! Tomorrow when I drop my students off for Library I will have to work on getting ready for next week and maybe tackling a couple more things on my list. I expect I will have to come in to school on Saturday to finish it up.

Not that there was any other option, but I am so glad I went to a community college before heading to a four year school. I listen to my peers and the debt they've accumulated and I wince. I also think the community college experience provided me with a quality foundation. I definitely used the available resources to help get me through and I had some really great instructors. I don't know how to quantify my learning there, but I often reflect on my learning there and how it impacts my teaching now.  I think I got more "learning about teaching" from that experience than my actual teaching degree. I'm really glad I had that experience and that I am not swimming in a mountain of debt.

I was invited to friends for "Easter Dinner" on Sunday. They don't attend church but observe the holiday with baskets, eggs, chocolate, and dinner. Since I did not grow up celebrating Easter as such I didn't remember that it was this weekend. It is interesting to see how Easter becomes a once a year event to acknowledge Christ. Today though I suppose I am glad there is any acknowledgement. We have a variety of religious backgrounds among my colleagues from some real "Holy Rollers" to traditional Lutherans. I will say this, I work with good people.

I have went through a few "Teacher Bags" as a teacher. I have given up on finding the perfect bag. There isn't one that meets my needs. Although that week with the giant Costco bag came close. I am back to using the backpack. I don't have to juggle everything to unlock or lock doors. I am not losing circulation in my arms from carrying the bag. Yeah, the backpack! It isn't fancy, but it never disappoints. Speaking of the backpack. I bought a backpack in 1999. I was told it would never last. It has been with me over seas, dales, hills, banks, streams, field trips, and much more. It is still going! Not a tear or a weak zipper. In  two years that backpack will be 20. I bought it for $19.99. It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment